It seemed like a simple task. My wife asked me to call the phone company and order phone service at her mother’s new apartment in New Albany. “No problem; I’ll call today. She’ll probably have service by tomorrow,” I said. Boy, was I wrong.Things didn’t go well from the very first call. A pleasant, but […]
About Wayne MitchellPublisher of the New Albany Gazette
Author Archive | Wayne Mitchell
I stepped down from the cab of the rental truck at the convenience store in Florence, Ala. We had only been on the road for two hours in the bumpy 15-foot truck, but I needed a Diet Coke. I reached into my pocket, but my wallet wasn’t there. “Do you have my wallet in your […]
This column originally appeared May 18, 2011, in the Gazette. It sounded pretty simple the first time we talked about it: Plan a week’s vacation to Florida. But it’s been anything but simple. It all started when my sister Donna and her husband Homer said they planned to spend two weeks this summer in Florida, […]
This column originally appeared in the March 3, 2011, Gazette. My wife says I’m a brand snob. I insist on buying a brand-name item even though a no-name brand may be just as good, and less expensive, she says. I plead guilty, I guess, although not as guilty as I used to be. I would […]
Jimmy Robert has taken a liking to my car. He’s a little like a distant relative that shows up for a visit and decides to stay. The problem is Jimmy Robert is a spider. It’s an odd story, but fortunately I’ve got some space here in the paper to tell you about it. The story […]
Our next-door neighbors painted their house a new color this past weekend. Lane and Tracy Cavender, with the help of a friend with a paint sprayer, brightened up the house with a lighter color that gave it a fresh look. Painting the house follows a summer in which they have redone the landscaping and generally […]
This column originally appeared in the Gazette in February 2011. The birds are chirping around our house. There are a lot of sounds – from mourning doves to cardinals and wrens to orioles. Unfortunately, most of it is coming from inside the house. It’s my wife’s bird clock, which, instead of chiming, makes the sound […]
It’s football time again in northeast Mississippi. It sort of slipped up on me this year because my mind as been focused on baseball. Not just any baseball team, either. My long-suffering Kansas City Royals are in first place in the American League Central Division. After playing in the World Series last year in what […]
The sweat was beaded up on my wife’s face and she clearly was not happy. We were less than two hours into a nine-hour car trip to visit her mother in northern Kentucky and Jenny was really hot. The temperature was in the low 90s and the car’s air conditioning had stopped producing cold air. […]
This column originally appeared in the Oct. 27, 2010 Gazette. The weekend turned out all right, I suppose. At least I wasn’t too tired to get up and go to work Monday. Based on my experience with air travel in recent years, it could have been otherwise. It all started several months ago when a […]
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...