This column originally appeared in the Oct. 27, 2010 issue of the Gazette. You would think I would learn from my mistakes. If you thought that, you would be wrong. There I was preparing to play 18 holes of golf in the bright sunshine with our son, Joe, and I had no cap for my […]
About Wayne MitchellPublisher of the New Albany Gazette
Author Archive | Wayne Mitchell
Sometimes we don’t notice how much technology has changed in just a few years until something draws it to our attention. That was the case Friday when Kagan Doom, the Gazette’s graphics designer, came out of a back room at the newspaper carrying a camera he had found on a shelf there. It was a […]
There are fewer dogs in our neighborhood these days. There aren’t, of course, but that is how Jenny sees it. “How my wife sees it” has been a discussion topic for the past couple of years, as we make our daily walk around the neighborhood with our own dogs. We watch for any unrestrained dogs […]
Even the frogs were trying to get out of the rain. Really. We were sitting in our living room when our son Joe noticed a small frog clinging to the glass in our front door. “He’s trying to get in,” Joe said. Well, maybe; maybe not. But he was definitely there on the door glass […]
Spring has arrived at our house. Yes, I know the calendar says that summer officially started 10 days ago. But that’s not Jenny’s calendar. My wife decided Saturday it was time to start spring cleaning, something she did for years at her parents’ and grandparents’ houses when she was growing up. There were walls to […]
Rain started coming down in sheets shortly after our son Joe and I headed to Memphis early Saturday evening to pick up Jenny at the airport. The wind was blowing and it was difficult to see the lane markings on U.S. 78. I slowed to about 40 mph along with the other traffic, but the […]
Tomorrow we start summer schedule around our house. It’s the time of year when we get up a little later, relax on the patio a while after work, spend time watering the flowers and the grass, and eat dinner an hour later than the rest of the year. Summer schedule is built around my wife, […]
When it comes to our summer vacation, I plan ahead. Usually before the end of February, I have nailed down flights, hotels and just about everything else except where we are going to eat. (I’ve been known to even do that.) Even though we don’t go until June, I like to leave nothing to chance. […]
Last spring Joy Fisher called and asked if I would come speak to a meeting of the New Albany Mothers’ Club. I said I would if I didn’t have a conflict. “When would you like me to come?” I asked, as I opened my appointment calendar. “At 3 p.m. on April 8, 2015,” she said. […]
Our son Joe is shopping for a watch. Yes, he still wears one, even though he’s part of the generation that has mostly forsaken watches in favor of just keeping a smart phone in one hand much of the time. But he keeps his cell phone in his front pants or shorts pocket, sort of […]
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...