The next B2B (Business to Business) Luncheon, sponsored by the Union County Development Association and Toyota Motor Manufacturing Mississippi, will be Thursday, Jan. 21, in the Magnolia Room of the Magnolia Civic Center. Toyota is funding the quarterly series to promote communication among area businesses. Mike Claybourne, president of the CREATE Foundation, will present a […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Union County’s jobless rate for November was 4.5 percent, slightly better than October’s 4.6 percent but not quite as low as in August, which reported 4.4 percent. Even with that decrease, Union County remained seventh lowest in unemployment among all state counties this past month. We also remained third lowest rate in the north half […]
The Imperial Trading Company on Carter Avenue held a ribbon-cutting Friday for construction of a 12,000-square-foot addition to their warehouse. The addition will include a 4,000-square-foot cooler-freezer and add about 25 percent to their present 45,000 square feet of warehouse space. The business was originally Union Grocery, dating back to 1953. Imperial Trading bought the […]
New Albany may be blessed with a vibrant downtown and bustling retail trade area in many respects, but some experts say the city could be doing much better. According to an analysis presented by Retail Strategies, each year nearly $10.3 million is leaving Union County to be spent in other towns for groceries alone. Full-service […]
Nationwide and globally recognized scrap metal recycling and waste handling company Green Metals, Inc. opened up a new facility located at 1034 Corolla Lane in Blue Springs. Green Metals, Inc. is a subsidiary of Toyota Tsusho and handles recycling for Toyota Motor Manufacturing Mississippi, Inc. and TMMMS Tier One and Tier Two suppliers. President and […]
Angie Wilson, a labor and delivery nurse for the Women’s Center at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County, recently received the DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses, an award given in appreciation of the work nurses do. Wilson was nominated by a former patient who praised Wilson for her outstanding care and compassion. Nurses like Wilson are […]
The Town of Myrtle formally opened its new $210,000 municipal building Monday, dedicating the town hall to former resident Murray Coffey, who donated the land. Officials also designated the board room in honor of long-time alderman Joe Graham. Graham was unable to attend but Coffey was on hand along with family members for the […]
The ribbon-cutting at the Jackson Furniture plant in Myrtle Tuesday appears to be just the first in a string of industrial development-related activities in the community. Union County Development Association Executive Director Phil Nanney gave New Albany aldermen an update on several other projects at their February meeting Tuesday. In terms of new industry, Nanney […]
Union County Farm Bureau promoted “Catfish” as the commodity of the month for July. A display was set up complete with fishing bobbers and gummy “worms” for the children. Members were invited to register for two catfish dinners from Fat Luey’s Restaurant. Nell Weeden was the winner. Shown with her receiving the gift certificate are […]
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...