Union Countians will have the opportunity to be “dazzled” by some popular music from hit musicals and movies this weekend as the Tallahatchie River Players present their youth production of “Broadway Jr.: Dazzled by Disney.” The show will use singing and choreography to display familiar tunes from Disney movies old and new. Director Tori Baldwin […]
Archive | Features RSS feed for this section
Paul Rainey is a familiar figure to many Union County residents, but a program at the Union County Heritage Museum this past week helped reveal there is still much about the millionaire sportsman people here are unaware of. Renelda Owen, of the Delta State University English Department, presented an illustrated lecture on the life of […]
Cannon Cobb took decisive action to beat the heat at the Union County Fair this past weekend. He appeared to be totally unconcerned that he chose the livestock show water bucket for his afternoon dip. Cannon is the son of Danny and Meghan Cobb.
Forty-one young ladies competed for Miss Union County Fair titles Tuesday to open the five-day event. Four age divisions were included. Junior Miss Union County Fair was for ages 9 and 10, Pre-Teen Miss Union County Fair was for ages 11-13, Teen Miss Union County Fair was for ages 14-16 and Miss Union County Fair […]
By Sonny Harrison It seems everyone and their kids are talking about Pokémon Go and, for good reason. It’s broken multiple smartphone application records and costs less than a high-five. For those who haven’t heard, Pokémon Go is a new game for the smartphone that uses the GPS (Global Positioning System) feature on your smartphone […]
By Kristin Waldrop “I just really wanted to fly,” said Robert Butler of Myrtle. Flying has always been a dream for Butler, and last month the 87-year-old finally made his dream come true with a flight to Nashville. Butler said that he has always liked planes, but never wanted to be a pilot. He just […]
New Albany’s own arm wrestling champ Rance Clayton came home from Las Vegas early Wednesday with a gold and silver. “I won first place with the left arm and second place with the right,” he said. Clayton was competing in the amateur division of the World Armwrestling League. He has been phenomenally success so far […]
The Faulkner and Folk Art artists’ challenge will again be held by the Union County Heritage Museum. This third annual Faulkner and Folk Art exhibit challenges artists to create a piece of artwork inspired by William Faulkner the man, or from his book, “Light in August,” which is the topic of this year’s Literary Festival […]
Callaghan Brooke Basil, daughter of Chris and Betsy Basil of Blue Springs, has been selected Mississippi’s Homecoming Queen. She is the East Union Attendance Center High School Homecoming Queen. Callaghan will represent the state of Mississippi at the 36th Annual America’s Homecoming Queen Selection to be held July 30 in Memphis, Tenn. In the fall […]
By Kristin Waldrop “You have cataracts.” The previous sentence sounds scary, right? Well, with today’s modern technology, cataract surgery can restore vision loss with a short, considered more comfortable outpatient procedure. According to the American Academy of Ophthalmology, “a cataract is an eye disease in which the normally clear lens of the eye becomes cloudy […]
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...