By Kristin Waldrop “I just really wanted to fly,” said Robert Butler of Myrtle. Flying has always been a dream for Butler, and last month the 87-year-old finally made his dream come true with a flight to Nashville. Butler said that he has always liked planes, but never wanted to be a pilot. He just […]
Archive | Features RSS feed for this section
New Albany’s own arm wrestling champ Rance Clayton came home from Las Vegas early Wednesday with a gold and silver. “I won first place with the left arm and second place with the right,” he said. Clayton was competing in the amateur division of the World Armwrestling League. He has been phenomenally success so far […]
The Faulkner and Folk Art artists’ challenge will again be held by the Union County Heritage Museum. This third annual Faulkner and Folk Art exhibit challenges artists to create a piece of artwork inspired by William Faulkner the man, or from his book, “Light in August,” which is the topic of this year’s Literary Festival […]
Callaghan Brooke Basil, daughter of Chris and Betsy Basil of Blue Springs, has been selected Mississippi’s Homecoming Queen. She is the East Union Attendance Center High School Homecoming Queen. Callaghan will represent the state of Mississippi at the 36th Annual America’s Homecoming Queen Selection to be held July 30 in Memphis, Tenn. In the fall […]
By Kristin Waldrop “You have cataracts.” The previous sentence sounds scary, right? Well, with today’s modern technology, cataract surgery can restore vision loss with a short, considered more comfortable outpatient procedure. According to the American Academy of Ophthalmology, “a cataract is an eye disease in which the normally clear lens of the eye becomes cloudy […]
By Jill Smith This has been the “Year of Myrtle” with four books being published of memories and stories about the Union County town. The Union County Heritage Museum has hosted the authors of three of these books, and now it is time for Book Four about Myrtle. Don Dorman of Chicago, formerly of Myrtle, will […]
New Albany and Union County have received recognition for various sports achievements lately but we have one champion few people may be aware of. Rance Clayton is proving to be a top contender in the rapidly-growing sport of arm wrestling. In fact, in a couple of months he plans to turn professional and this weekend […]
Charles and Sarah Raines were married July 1, 1966. There will be a reception in their honor from 2 to 4 p.m., June 26, at Grace Pointe Church of God, located at 1512 South Central, New Albany. Friends and family are invited.
Gene and Barbara Hudson of Myrtle will celebrate their 50th Anniversary on Sunday, June 26, 2016. They were married June 24, 1966. There will be a reception given in their honor at the Union County Baptist Association Building, 845 Sam Barkley Dr, New Albany, from 2 to 4 p.m. The celebration will be hosted by […]
Jay P. and Sarah Garrett celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary on May 12, 2016 and were honored by their family with a reception at Ingomar Baptist Church Fellowship Hall with many lifelong friends and family attending. Jay was reared in the Pinedale community and Sarah not far away in Hurricane. They were married May 12, […]
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...