City and county schools were not among the top 25 in ACT scores made by high school juniors across the state, but they ranked higher than neighboring schools other than Oxford. The New Albany district had an average composite score of 19.9 which Union County’s average was 19.3. The state composite average was 18.3. Students […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
The Union County Board of Supervisors will hold a public hearing on the 2016-17 budget and tax levy at 10 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 15, in the boardroom of the chancery court building. This will be the last opportunity for members of the public to comment before the final budget is adopted. The hearing was set […]
Union County Health and Rehab administrators have announced their facility has been given a top five-star rating by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Theirs is the only such facility to receive that high rating in the area, they said. The rating system was created by CMS to help compare nursing homes more easily. […]
It will soon be 15 years since the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon. Members of the local American Legion Post 72 are doing their part to make sure we never forget what happened and those who lost their lives, as well as other sacrifices made in the name of freedom. Following […]
Governmental offices, schools and some businesses will close Monday, Sept. 5, in observance of the Labor Day holiday. The holiday will affect solid-waste collection in New Albany with no service on Monday. The Monday route will be collected Tuesday and the Tuesday route will be collected Wednesday. Thursday and Friday will not be affected County […]
The Union County Humane Society is having a community rummage sale Saturday, Sept. 3, from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the old Bankhead Flower Shop parking lot on Hwy 15 North. All proceeds go to the non-profit organization to help with vet expenses and to go towards their building fund. They are still accepting […]
United Way of Northeast Mississippi will accept applications through Oct. 21 for non-profit organizations that wish to become a United Way of Northeast Mississippi Agency. Application forms may be obtained by contacting Shelia McCool, Director of Finance and Funds Distribution for United Way of Northeast Mississippi, at 213 West Main Street, Suite 110, Tupelo, MS, […]
Career and technical students got bonus field trips to the Cine Theater this past week to learn about the new WorkKeys test going into effect. The test has been likened to the ACT, but from a technical career viewpoint. Students will have the opportunity to practice with the new test before taking it for credit […]
The United States Department of Agriculture/ Natural Resources Conservation Service is accepting applications for the Regional Conservation Partnership Program. The funding is available through the Environmental Quality Incentives Program and is a stewardship partnership between NRCS, North Central Mississippi Resource Conservation & Development Council and the Mississippi Soil and Water Conservation Commission. The RCPP program […]
The Internal Revenue Service today warned taxpayers against telephone scammers targeting students and parents during the back-to-school season and demanding payments for non-existent taxes, such as the “Federal Student Tax.” People should be on the lookout for IRS impersonators calling students and demanding that they wire money immediately to pay a fake “federal student tax.” […]
- Urchins host Hamilton in Thursday’s home opener August 25, 2016
- Macedonia news August 30, 2016
- Hurricane news August 30, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news August 30, 2016
- IRS warns of back-to-school scams; encourages students, parents, schools to stay alert August 30, 2016
- Local schools do well in ACT test results August 30, 2016
- County sets public hearing for coming year’s budget August 30, 2016
- Union County Health and Rehab receives top rating from CMS August 30, 2016
- American Legion to sponsor Patriot Day program Sept. 9 August 30, 2016
- Labor Day holiday to affect community services August 30, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...