Columbus attorney John Brady won in Union County but lost the overall vote for Supreme Court Justice to circuit judge Bobby Chamberlin. In what may have been a record-low turnout, Brady received 56 percent of the Union County vote to Chamberlin’s 44 percent (700 votes to 540). Only 7.4 percent of the registered voters here […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
Work was completed this past week on a $200,000 culvert project to prevent flooding of Main Street under the Tanglefoot Trail bridge, a problem that had plagued the city for well over a half century. Mayor Tim Kent said the new, large culvert apparently works since it not only prevented overflow during a flash flood […]
MYRTLE – For a second year, the town of Myrtle is aiming to give to children in need. The project, called the Tree of Hope, began in 2015 as an idea from Myrtle town clerk Marie White and her husband Tony White. Last year, with just two weeks of taking donations, the Tree of Hope […]
The Friends of the Union County Library’s monthly Luncheon With Books program usually includes a review but this month’s version could serve as more of a holiday gift guide. Guests were Lyn Roberts of Square Books and Carroll Moore of Neil White’s Nautilus Publishing Company, both of Oxford. White is both an author in his […]
Mayor Tim Kent said Wednesday there had been so much interest in the New Albany Christmas parade, and disappointment in its cancellation due to rain, that city officials are going to try to still hold the parade sometime. He said almost any date presents conflicts for participants but they would like to at least have […]
The New Albany Fire Department is investigating an incident early Wednesday as a possible case of arson. Chief Steve Coker said a passerby noticed smoke coming from a residence at 333 Polk St. about 6:15 a.m. and called fire officials. Firefighters arrived to find that someone had broken into the unoccupied house owned by Audrey […]
Next Monday, Dec. 5, is the last day to apply for this year’s UNITE grants. UNITE is Union County/New Albany Initiative to Excel, New Albany and Union County’s community foundation. Grants are awarded annually to non-profit organizations that use grant funds to improve the quality of life for residents of Union County. UNITE initiated a […]
Courthouse co-workers and family honored Graham Spencer Wednesday as he prepares to retire after serving as First District Election Commissioner for the past 12 years. Spencer received a surprise plaque and informal reception to mark the day – which was also his 85th birthday. “You have been awesome,” Union County Circuit Clerk Phyllis Stanford told […]
Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County recently announced Cyndi Adkins, BSN, RN, has been named Service First Champion for the quarter. Cyndi joined the nursing department at Baptist Union County eleven years ago and is head nurse for the emergency department. Service First Champions are individuals who consistently exceed all expectations for the purpose of serving others […]
The New Albany Garden Club held its November meeting in the newly restored home of Natalie and Kyle Floyd. Hostesses Mrs. Lynn Madden and Mrs. Carol Riddell served a dessert plate featuring a frosted apple cake. The table featured a fall arrangement of chrysanthemums in a vase encircled with bamboo and tied with a burlap […]
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...