The Union County Board of Supervisors voted to extend the burn ban in the county for another month at their regular meeting Monday. “I don’t believe we’ve had enough rain,” board president Randy Owen said. Although county fire coordinator Steve Coker said the ban has not been popular with some, he agrees. Coker also noted […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
Mayor Tim Kent said Monday that Main Street where it crosses under the Tanglefoot Trail will be closed starting yesterday and for possibly as long as two weeks. The closing is so that a 120-foot-long, eight-foot box culvert can be placed in the creek that runs under the street, and has been prone to flooding […]
A New Albany pastor has been charged with a series of sex-related offenses according to the New Albany Police Department. Jonathan T. Tucker, 39, pastor of New Birth Church, 614 Glade Ave., was arrested Oct. 20 following indictment by a Union County grand jury according to investigator Mark Cossitt. Tucker is charged with sexual battery, […]
Special Agents from the State Auditor’s Office arrested former New Albany Municipal Court Clerk, Jennifer Galloway, after she was indicted on one count of embezzlement by a Union County Grand Jury. In addition to Monday’s arrest, Galloway was issued a demand in the amount of $334,680.64. While Galloway will be entitled to her day in […]
Haunted forests were once a popular community event leading up to Halloween but fewer have been seen in recent years. David Thompson is working to reverse that trend with Sleepy Hollow Haunted Forest. This is the second year for the event, which he organized with a lot of volunteer help to raise money for Myrtle […]
Applications forms for the annual New Albany Gazette Sharing at Christmas program may be picked up this week at the Gazette, at the New Albany City Hall on Bankhead Street, the Union County Chancery Clerk’s office on Main Street, or any New Albany City school or Union County school. Completed applications must be returned to […]
A Union County grand jury convened this past week, hearing what some court officials say may be a record number of cases. Circuit Clerk Phyllis Stanford said the grand jury returned 243 indictments, although it should be noted that some charges involved more than one potential defendant and some potential defendants faced multiple charges. She […]
The Union County Development Association is having another in the series of Business-2-Business luncheons on Thursday, Oct. 27, in the Magnolia Room of the Magnolia Civic Center on Bankhead Street in New Albany. The meal will be served at noon with the program immediately following In a last-minute program change, Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann […]
With less than two weeks before the Nov. 8 general election, Union County Circuit Clerk Phyllis Stanford will have her office open from 8 a.m. to noon the next two Saturdays for the convenience of qualified absentee voters. Noon, Nov. 5, will be the deadline to cast an absentee ballot in person and any mailed-in […]
Pediatric flu shots are now available at all Mississippi State Department of Health county clinics. Seasonal flu vaccination is recommended for anyone age six months and older. “The flu shot is absolutely your best protection against the flu,” said MSDH State Epidemiologist Dr. Paul Byers. “The vaccine takes one to two weeks to produce immunity, […]
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Clerk’s office open for absentee voting Saturday morning October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...