Union County Circuit Clerk Phyllis Stanford now has the final version of the ballot for the Nov. 8 general election so absentee ballots should be ready soon. The only local contested races are for two county and one city school board seats and the Gazette has requested information about the candidates. Running for re-election to […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
Already popular Cooper Park in the historic downtown part of New Albany gained another attraction Wednesday with the addition of a street clock. The Verdin clock, about 18 feet tall, was donated by Renasant Bank to the New Albany Main Street Association. The park itself belongs to the Cooper Family and was the site of […]
Union County dropped one position but still managed to have the fourth-lowest unemployment rate in the state for August and have a slightly lower percentage than the previous month. Our unemployment for August was 4.3 percent, compared to 4.7 percent in July. That was below the state average of 5.7 percent and the national rate […]
This has, unofficially at least, been Faulkner Week leading up to the Literary Fest Friday and Saturday. Perhaps the high point will be the awards presentation for the Faulkner writing contest winners but fans of the Nobel Prize-winning New Albany native got a different sort of treat Tuesday. Popular Cotton Plant native Dr. Kate Stewart […]
The Mississippi Highway Patrol says fog could have played a role in an early morning crash in Union County. Troopers responded to Mississippi Highway 30 West, near the Wal-Mart Distribution Center, at approximately 6 a.m. Upon arriving it appeared that a 2016 Freightliner 18-wheeler, driven by Jeffery Hare, 41, of Laurel, was traveling west. When […]
By Margaret McCraw Fall officially arrived yesterday, Sept. 22, so perhaps our hot and humid weather will soon be nothing more than a very warm memory. Best wishes to David Coker who is suffering some broken ribs. The Youths from our church were visiting last Wednesday evening and I was pleased to have Kye Roberts, […]
By Loretta Easley Hello to Mrs. Vera Ford at Dry Creek who reads the Gazette every week. Here’s hoping that you and all the others there are having a good day. Well, our little baby girl is coming along fine, she now weighs two pounds and three ounces as of Saturday night. Kaylee Ann was […]
Apostolic Revival Center wanted to give some encouragement to our local law enforcement and members wanted to partner with them to help do positive things that will help our community. As a result, Pastor Stephen Denton gave Chief of Police Chris Robertson pocket Bibles to distribute to his officers. “Being in one accord is one […]
The New Century Club met on Sept. 7 at the recently completed country retreat of Joy Hill and her family. President Lynn Madden called the meeting to order, and program chairman Susan Feather introduced the theme for the year: Reading Around The World. Michelle Hagins reviewed Goldeneye: Where Bond Was Born: Ian Fleming’s Jamaica by […]
By Lou McQuary Bro. Landreth and Margaret Murphree and Gary and Brenda Stepp left Sept. 3 heading first to Renfro Valley in Kentucky. From there they went to the Ark Encounter in Williamstown. Margaret said the exhibit of the ark was tremendous. The characters as well as the animals were all animated, and they all […]
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...