Volunteers are again putting together the Gazette’s “Sharing at Christmas” program that provides food and toys, when appropriate, for needy Union County families each year. But with barely two weeks left, we have reached only slightly over one-third of our fundraising goal of $15,000. Each year for more than 40 years Sharing at Christmas has […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
By Lisa Bryant General Manager This is my first year to be involved with Sharing at Christmas and this embodies the Christmas Spirit in Union County. From what I understand this is a tradition that began over 40 years ago. The people of Union County open their hearts and their wallets to make sure families […]
By Camille Anding Be Advised! To Whom It May Concern: 1) Stomach Bug, you are NOT welcome in our home on Christmas Eve. Evidence substantiates that you do not need an invitation or permission to violate a home. Last Christmas Eve, I was accepting death with sweet relief as I ebbed away in the emergency […]
December! It arrives with great expectations, planned activities, and an overload of calories AND emotions. Preparations for parties and hosting take a little longer for me each year, and then it’s over so quickly. A family favorite dessert linked to Christmas might take a dozen steps and several hours in the kitchen. Yet, when it […]
Now that work is under way on the Cracker Barrel Old Country Store off Coulter Cove, city officials are beginning to attack the potential problem of added traffic on Coulter Drive once the restaurant is open. That traffic flow will also be increased some with the opening of Dr. Kevin Rowan’s large dental office at […]
Something has been weighing heavy on me lately, and that is FIRE SAFETY, PREVENTION, PROACTIVE PLANNING, and RESPONSIBLE OWNERSHIP of HOME OWNERS, and RENTAL PROPERTY. With all this being said, here is what I would like to reach out and say to each and every person in the City of New Albany, and resident of […]
With this year’s Thanksgiving behind us, we are full out on our way to Christmas. All the Black Friday deals are done, Small Business Saturday offered up some great value and Cyber Monday let the online shoppers click away. I have nothing against ordering things online, but that is not my preferred choice of shopping. […]
Dear Editor: Now that the Democrats and the Progressives and the liberals and the “politically correct” and much of the Republican establishment have their just denouement in the 2016 election, it is time to rein in our terrible state government, under Gov. Phil Bryant. What a bunch of “misfits” and “bullies”! The Lt. Governor and […]
By Lisa Bryant General Manager Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year, until we get to Christmas and then that will be my favorite. Thanksgiving is the holiday I get to spend more relaxing time with family. Like most families we have several traditions that are a must each year. Like a lot of […]
The theme is Thanksgiving from pilgrim performers in elementary schools to Facebook posts to homeless shelter drives. It’s a holiday to help us focus on our blessings, thanks to George Washington’s proclamation in 1789, “as a day of public thanksgiving and prayers to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors […]
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- The Playhouse December 6, 2016
- Governor lifts burn ban December 6, 2016
- Deadline for letters to Santa is Friday, Dec. 9 December 6, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday December 6, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday