Race relations in Union County are not perfect. But thanks to assertive action in the 1960s we have been able to avoid the divisiveness that has torn many cities. And although we can no longer sleep guarded only by an unlocked screen door as we could 60 years ago, our community is still largely violence-free. […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The Union County Fair and Livestock Show was this past week. We spent some time there and generally enjoyed it. The fair was the result of a lot of hard work, planning and consideration on how to make it better and more relevant to the community. Almost anyone could find something of interest, whether it […]
By Lisa Bryant General Manager My family and I went to the Union County Fair this past week and a good time was had by all. I would like to commend all the people who worked so hard before and after the fair to give our families a family-friendly event. I have three nieces who […]
This past week the Magnolia Civic Center Board formally requested permission to hire a part-time director for the facility. This is something we recommended a couple of weeks ago, although it hardly required genius to come up with the idea. The benefits far outweigh any potential negatives. Up to this point, the board has paid […]
Our community is good about realizing the value of our history and working to preserve it. We have the opportunity to participate in an updated part of that heritage happening this week in the form of the Union County Fair and Livestock Show. Fifty years ago the fair was a major community event. It emphasized […]
By Lisa Bryant General Manager We added a new member to our home, a 10-month-old Boxer, in February of this year and she is a wonderful dog to have around. We have one problem with her: she loves everyone and thinks everyone should love her. Thankfully she is a good watchdog. She will alert us […]
Although New Albany has some full-time paid firefighters, both the city and county rely heavily on volunteers. For years, many considered the volunteers to be little more than yahoos who liked to drive their pickup trucks fast with lights flashing. After a fire, particularly out in the county, people would say sardonically, “Well, at least […]
This week we celebrated our independence from tyranny and the right to a representative government. That government is not without its flaws, however, as witnessed by the low regard in which many people hold elected officials. It used to be, we think, that when someone talked about an elected official, he or she was also […]
By Lisa Bryant General Manager As we were enjoying all the festivities of the 4th of July Holiday, the Highway Patrol, Sheriff’s Department and City Police Department were all out working more shifts than normal. Each year we expect to see these men and women working extra hours out patrolling the highways and streets to […]
A couple of weeks ago we offered the opinion that Flag Day is a much-overlooked holiday and suggested people think more about the meaning and origins of our flag. We saw it as a unifying symbol for everyone in our country, especially given the divisive political climate of today. This past Saturday a community FreedomFest was […]
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...