The race for municipal office is off to a relatively slow but interesting start in New Albany. Only a few candidates have qualified but they include a challenger to the incumbent mayor and two incumbent aldermen who are running for different offices than they now hold. No offense to present office-holders but we hope there […]
Archive | Editorials RSS feed for this section
Union County’s unemployment rate for November was 4.0 percent – fifth lowest in the entire state. Our rate has been among the five or six lowest for a couple of years now. Most probably see this as good news. Nearly all our people are working. But others see a down side. They fear having too […]
This past week the Gazette listed an agenda of goals for the city and county that the newspaper wants to emphasize over the coming year. The Gazette has another agenda, however: goals for itself. The newspaper’s performance has been good, but there is always room for improvement. Below are some of the concerns for the […]
It is customary as the year begins to state some of the goals we wish to see accomplished in the coming 12 months. Few are easy or inexpensive, but one has to spend to nourish a successful community and we believe all of these are worth doing. Indeed, several goals listed in previous years have […]
It was a case where there were – literally – too many people to thank. Sen. Roger Wicker, who volunteered help, expressed amazement, saying, “This is the real spirit of Christmas: the community coming together, friends helping friends.” The event was the community holiday meal provided at the Middle School Cafeteria Saturday. Perhaps 100 volunteers […]
It was announced Monday that a director for the Magnolia Civic Center has been hired. This is a welcome move. The facility has been proving its worth for a long time, but had reached a plateau in its growth because there was no dedicated management or development. The New Albany Main Street Association had been […]
New Albany is the birthplace of William Faulkner, the home of an outstanding museum, sportsplex and park system and even ground zero for the renowned Latham Burger. But what are we best known for? “Oh, that’s the little town where they park in the middle of the street.” We have heard of people from as […]
Volunteers are again putting together the Gazette’s “Sharing at Christmas” program that provides food and toys, when appropriate, for needy Union County families each year. But with barely two weeks left, we have reached only slightly over one-third of our fundraising goal of $15,000. Each year for more than 40 years Sharing at Christmas has […]
Now that work is under way on the Cracker Barrel Old Country Store off Coulter Cove, city officials are beginning to attack the potential problem of added traffic on Coulter Drive once the restaurant is open. That traffic flow will also be increased some with the opening of Dr. Kevin Rowan’s large dental office at […]
Fake news. More and more people are being gulled by it, lately including broadcast networks. Some TV folks have had to apologize for passing on fabricated stories, some have failed to apologize, and in most cases, regardless, people still may believe the lies until they are proven wrong, usually at some cost to their credibility […]
- Hurricane news January 10, 2017
- Election commissioners take oath of office January 12, 2017
- Letter: Progress only happens when we all work together January 12, 2017
- Cong. Kelly named to Armed Services, Agriculture committees January 12, 2017
- Eastern Lights January 12, 2017
- Overtime magic January 13, 2017
- City school superintendent Jackie Ford to retire January 12, 2017
- 2017 Ingomar Homecoming Court January 12, 2017
- City school board seats newest member January 12, 2017
- Museum program sure to be ‘quotable’ January 12, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...