School starts next week and almost everyone will have to readjust from their summer routines and habits to a fall, winter and spring pattern of living. Many things that change are obvious and are tied to the daily class schedule, later to be added to with those for extra-curricular activities. One that is mentioned every […]
Archive | Editorials RSS feed for this section
School starts again next week and parents are no doubt scrambling to buy clothes and supplies and take care of other related details. One thing they should not put off to the last minute is making sure children are up to date on their vaccinations. Nobody likes to get shots. A few people think they […]
Race relations in Union County are not perfect. But thanks to assertive action in the 1960s we have been able to avoid the divisiveness that has torn many cities. And although we can no longer sleep guarded only by an unlocked screen door as we could 60 years ago, our community is still largely violence-free. […]
The Union County Fair and Livestock Show was this past week. We spent some time there and generally enjoyed it. The fair was the result of a lot of hard work, planning and consideration on how to make it better and more relevant to the community. Almost anyone could find something of interest, whether it […]
This past week the Magnolia Civic Center Board formally requested permission to hire a part-time director for the facility. This is something we recommended a couple of weeks ago, although it hardly required genius to come up with the idea. The benefits far outweigh any potential negatives. Up to this point, the board has paid […]
Our community is good about realizing the value of our history and working to preserve it. We have the opportunity to participate in an updated part of that heritage happening this week in the form of the Union County Fair and Livestock Show. Fifty years ago the fair was a major community event. It emphasized […]
Although New Albany has some full-time paid firefighters, both the city and county rely heavily on volunteers. For years, many considered the volunteers to be little more than yahoos who liked to drive their pickup trucks fast with lights flashing. After a fire, particularly out in the county, people would say sardonically, “Well, at least […]
This week we celebrated our independence from tyranny and the right to a representative government. That government is not without its flaws, however, as witnessed by the low regard in which many people hold elected officials. It used to be, we think, that when someone talked about an elected official, he or she was also […]
A couple of weeks ago we offered the opinion that Flag Day is a much-overlooked holiday and suggested people think more about the meaning and origins of our flag. We saw it as a unifying symbol for everyone in our country, especially given the divisive political climate of today. This past Saturday a community FreedomFest was […]
We have mixed feelings about New Albany aldermen endorsing – if only tacitly – the sale of alcohol at city events on city property. The consumption of alcohol is legal on private property and we agree the decision to drink is the individual’s own business. That is, unless the individual drinks enough that it becomes […]
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series