The Tanglefoot Trail has proved to be of more value to our community than almost anyone imagined. Even now, people are just starting to realize we have barely dipped into its potential and are beginning, finally, to develop projects that enhance it. The county library, along with city and county officials are working – albeit […]
Archive | Editorials RSS feed for this section
We learned just before our press deadline that two local businesses, Roberts Trucking (owned byBlake and Alyson Roberts) and Rutledge and Davis Law Firm, both of New Albany, are sponsoring a tractor-trailer to take donated supplies to Louisiana, where about 40,000 families have been made homeless. Union Countians have always been good about sharing, whether […]
Every once in a while it’s good to remind people about the different types of material that appear on a newspaper’s editorial page. The distinctions may appear minor and even a bit confusing to some but they are quite significant. Typically, one will find editorials, personal opinion or other personal columns, and letters to the […]
The Tallahatchie RiverFest has been New Albany and Union County’s benchmark festival event for many years now. It has presented an eclectic assortment of programs and events, and built an audience that had seemed elusive for the first several years. In the past, it has showcased local and other artists and organizers have had a […]
“Free” sounds like a deal that is hard to beat. That’s certainly the case with the back-to-school health fair at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday. The annual event always draws crowds and deservedly so. Aimed at children up to 12 years old, the fair has plenty of valuable information for […]
Everyone in the New Albany school system had their annual first group meeting Monday before classes start Thursday. The county district staff were to have theirs today. It was not unlike a pep rally. While there may have been some last-minute anxiety or jitters, especially for new teachers, everyone was clearly excited and optimistic about […]
School starts next week and almost everyone will have to readjust from their summer routines and habits to a fall, winter and spring pattern of living. Many things that change are obvious and are tied to the daily class schedule, later to be added to with those for extra-curricular activities. One that is mentioned every […]
School starts again next week and parents are no doubt scrambling to buy clothes and supplies and take care of other related details. One thing they should not put off to the last minute is making sure children are up to date on their vaccinations. Nobody likes to get shots. A few people think they […]
Race relations in Union County are not perfect. But thanks to assertive action in the 1960s we have been able to avoid the divisiveness that has torn many cities. And although we can no longer sleep guarded only by an unlocked screen door as we could 60 years ago, our community is still largely violence-free. […]
The Union County Fair and Livestock Show was this past week. We spent some time there and generally enjoyed it. The fair was the result of a lot of hard work, planning and consideration on how to make it better and more relevant to the community. Almost anyone could find something of interest, whether it […]
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Home Run Derby August 25, 2016
- County Champs August 25, 2016
- Urchins host Hamilton in Thursday’s home opener August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Wife accused of shooting husband six times August 25, 2016
- Police charge two teens with armed robbery of merchant August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...