New Albany is the birthplace of William Faulkner, the home of an outstanding museum, sportsplex and park system and even ground zero for the renowned Latham Burger. But what are we best known for? “Oh, that’s the little town where they park in the middle of the street.” We have heard of people from as […]
Archive | Editorials RSS feed for this section
Volunteers are again putting together the Gazette’s “Sharing at Christmas” program that provides food and toys, when appropriate, for needy Union County families each year. But with barely two weeks left, we have reached only slightly over one-third of our fundraising goal of $15,000. Each year for more than 40 years Sharing at Christmas has […]
Now that work is under way on the Cracker Barrel Old Country Store off Coulter Cove, city officials are beginning to attack the potential problem of added traffic on Coulter Drive once the restaurant is open. That traffic flow will also be increased some with the opening of Dr. Kevin Rowan’s large dental office at […]
Fake news. More and more people are being gulled by it, lately including broadcast networks. Some TV folks have had to apologize for passing on fabricated stories, some have failed to apologize, and in most cases, regardless, people still may believe the lies until they are proven wrong, usually at some cost to their credibility […]
There had been no company announcement Monday but city officials said a construction permit was issued that day for construction of a Cracker Barrel Old Country Store here, and site preparation had begun by the end of the day. There has been speculation and anticipation for a year since it was learned, amid a flurry […]
We can’t say it with enthusiasm, but we can say it with sincerity. Go vote next Tuesday. We suspect many citizens would simply prefer to stay home, and we fail to understand how anyone could be enthusiastic about either of the two major candidates. Each is hated by approximately half the country, and that is […]
There’s been a lot of talk lately about “rigged” elections. Perhaps it’s possible, but we don’t think it can happen here. Although we use electronic voting machines, they are not connected to the internet and some hacker could only affect their results by connecting directly to them. There also used to be jokes about the […]
What has happened to our country? Civility, tolerance and any sense of cooperation seem to have vanished from our congressional body, and even to a degree in our state government. In what is likely the most disturbing and disagreeable presidential campaign in history, people are less concerned about electing a good, moral, qualified leader than […]
By this time next week The New Albany Gazette will have moved to its new, permanent location. We will be at 130 W. Bankhead St. in the former Hamilton Hardware building, now a part of Hamilton Place, next to Cooper Park. The move away from Carter Avenue, where the newspaper had been for 40 years […]
Municipal elections are coming up next year and potential candidates are no doubt trying to decide whether to qualify for one of the races in January. We’re not running, but if we were, there are several issues that would likely be planks in our campaign platform. • Parking – One would be to make tackling […]
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...