My congratulations on publishing the finest magazine I’ve picked up in years! I am Beth Barrett Rogers. My Mom, Erline Barrett, was the “Mayor of Main Street” from 1961 when she bought and renamed Barrett’s Grocery until her death in 2001. My late father-in-law Mike Rogers was head of the Development Association and recruited Futorian […]
Archive | Letters RSS feed for this section
On the evening of July 4, 2016, at approximately 7:43 p.m., lightning struck the education building of Calvary United Methodist Church and set the top floor on fire. Fortunately, a passerby immediately called 911. After receiving the call at 7:44 p.m., the New Albany Fire Department arrived on the Calvary UMC campus at 7:47 p.m. […]
August 21, 2016 A Letter to the Public, The folks of New Albany and Union County are exceptionally generous. On Sunday evening, an 18-wheeler crammed-jammed full of supplies to aid those flood-stricken homeless citizens of Southeast Louisiana left Roberts Trucking after literally hundreds of local individuals gave and gave and gave for the […]
As a citizen of Mississippi, I understand that state government officials are tasked with maintaining a balanced budget and keeping spending in check during difficult economic times. As Executive Director of the Mississippi Library Commission, I am truly concerned for communities across our state due to the outcome of the recent legislative session. Along with […]
Dear editor: I have been sending letters for over five years about the highways, roads and streets in Union County and New Albany. I know you have been concerned even longer. Very little has been accomplished and even the new county supervisors are in the same mode, ignoring the needs. Some desultory patching or roads […]
Dear Editor: Take a ride on Bankhead St., or on Barkley Dr. Go on CR 115 in the county, or any other direction, north, south, east or west, and what do you find? Decrepit roads and even more, “decrepit” officials, city and county, that get on one issue, such as Tangle Foot Trail or the […]
Editor, New Albany Gazette Dear Citizens of New Albany: What place in New Albany averages 5000 visitors per month? Where in New Albany can a person do genealogy research? Where can a person with no computer or internet service fill out job applications online or do job searches online? Where can a New Albany school […]
Dear Editor: In regard to the Gazette’s recent editorial opinion voicing opposition to private and home school, I am disappointed with the paper’s failure to objectively examine both sides of this issue. Yes, public school is the right choice for most parents and students. But, private school and home school exactly meet the needs of […]
Dear Editor: This letter is in regard to a meeting I had with the Union County Supervisors in August. It concerned my garbage bin being full and needing emptied. I also talked to them about a stopped up culvert of mine, and a ditch that was overgrown. Mr. Danny Jordan told me they would come […]
I would like to respond to the recent editorial article regarding the Wellspring Center for Professional Futures. In particular, I would like to address the following quote; “We translate ‘advanced manufacturing’ to mean training folks to work at Toyota.” That is simply not the case. As the senior consultant to the Wellspring Center, my […]
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...