By Lisa Bryant, General Manager Everyone knows that the 4th of July is known as Independence Day. That was the day that representatives of the 13 colonies declared their independence from Great Britain. But did you know that John Adams believed that July 2 was the correct date on which to celebrate the birth of […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
We have mixed feelings about New Albany aldermen endorsing – if only tacitly – the sale of alcohol at city events on city property. The consumption of alcohol is legal on private property and we agree the decision to drink is the individual’s own business. That is, unless the individual drinks enough that it becomes […]
By Lisa Bryant I am a fan of Pinterest and have gone to it more than once to find ideas and themes for parties, etc. but not everything on Pinterest is for the everyday person without some carpentry or chemist skills. I tried to make a sun catcher with multi colors to hang from your porch […]
Last week I ran across a folded piece of paper in the back of a drawer and saw that it was a “Playhouse” article that I probably meant to type and achieve. It described a grandchildren event during a summer vacation. Since the Birmingham grands are with us this week, I was considering re-using the […]
From ensuring safe food, safe milk, and safe water to preventing the spread of infectious diseases, from providing emergency preparedness readiness, to promoting healthier, safer communities . . . these are all a part of the healthcare system in Mississippi that is called public health. A system that is in place as a first line […]
We have heard that the civic center board may be considering hiring a part-time director for the facility. That’s a good idea, and possibly one that is overdue. When the city was first given use of the former movie theater and adjacent buildings there was some fear that it would become a white elephant and […]
Five women, a four-year-old and an 11-month-old is the perfect recipe for a great weekend trip to the beach. The trip began Friday morning, packing two vehicles with enough luggage to support five women for three days was surprisingly light, although the smallest person on the trip took up most of the space. Anyone traveling […]
As a citizen of Mississippi, I understand that state government officials are tasked with maintaining a balanced budget and keeping spending in check during difficult economic times. As Executive Director of the Mississippi Library Commission, I am truly concerned for communities across our state due to the outcome of the recent legislative session. Along with […]
By Lisa Bryant, General Manager Memorial Day seems to be the unofficial beginning of summer. Graduation was last week and school will start back the first week of August. That only gives families about eight weeks to work in their vacations. Many have booked their vacations or are making plans to head out to their […]
The beginning of summer is historically a slow time for newspapers. People are more focused on vacations, the end of school and simply enjoying the good weather. But a slow news period hardly means there is nothing to do. Even if you are unable to take a real vacation, the community has plenty of activities […]
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...