This week we celebrated our independence from tyranny and the right to a representative government. That government is not without its flaws, however, as witnessed by the low regard in which many people hold elected officials. It used to be, we think, that when someone talked about an elected official, he or she was also […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
By Lisa Bryant General Manager As we were enjoying all the festivities of the 4th of July Holiday, the Highway Patrol, Sheriff’s Department and City Police Department were all out working more shifts than normal. Each year we expect to see these men and women working extra hours out patrolling the highways and streets to […]
A couple of weeks ago we offered the opinion that Flag Day is a much-overlooked holiday and suggested people think more about the meaning and origins of our flag. We saw it as a unifying symbol for everyone in our country, especially given the divisive political climate of today. This past Saturday a community FreedomFest was […]
By Lisa Bryant, General Manager Everyone knows that the 4th of July is known as Independence Day. That was the day that representatives of the 13 colonies declared their independence from Great Britain. But did you know that John Adams believed that July 2 was the correct date on which to celebrate the birth of […]
We have mixed feelings about New Albany aldermen endorsing – if only tacitly – the sale of alcohol at city events on city property. The consumption of alcohol is legal on private property and we agree the decision to drink is the individual’s own business. That is, unless the individual drinks enough that it becomes […]
By Lisa Bryant I am a fan of Pinterest and have gone to it more than once to find ideas and themes for parties, etc. but not everything on Pinterest is for the everyday person without some carpentry or chemist skills. I tried to make a sun catcher with multi colors to hang from your porch […]
Last week I ran across a folded piece of paper in the back of a drawer and saw that it was a “Playhouse” article that I probably meant to type and achieve. It described a grandchildren event during a summer vacation. Since the Birmingham grands are with us this week, I was considering re-using the […]
From ensuring safe food, safe milk, and safe water to preventing the spread of infectious diseases, from providing emergency preparedness readiness, to promoting healthier, safer communities . . . these are all a part of the healthcare system in Mississippi that is called public health. A system that is in place as a first line […]
We have heard that the civic center board may be considering hiring a part-time director for the facility. That’s a good idea, and possibly one that is overdue. When the city was first given use of the former movie theater and adjacent buildings there was some fear that it would become a white elephant and […]
Five women, a four-year-old and an 11-month-old is the perfect recipe for a great weekend trip to the beach. The trip began Friday morning, packing two vehicles with enough luggage to support five women for three days was surprisingly light, although the smallest person on the trip took up most of the space. Anyone traveling […]
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series