The Tallahatchie RiverFest has been New Albany and Union County’s benchmark festival event for many years now. It has presented an eclectic assortment of programs and events, and built an audience that had seemed elusive for the first several years. In the past, it has showcased local and other artists and organizers have had a […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
By Lisa Bryant General Manager On Friday afternoon a storm came through Pontotoc and the Pontotoc Progress building (for which I am also general manager) sustained damage to the roof allowing water to come into the office. When something like this happens, it makes you realize how blessed we are to live in the communities […]
By Camille Anding The state of Montana is home to Glacier National Park along with an array of sights that words or pictures can’t do justice. There are rivers everywhere, and they run clear and cold over rocks of every size and color – at least in more colors than I every imagined rocks to […]
“Free” sounds like a deal that is hard to beat. That’s certainly the case with the back-to-school health fair at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday. The annual event always draws crowds and deservedly so. Aimed at children up to 12 years old, the fair has plenty of valuable information for […]
Everyone in the New Albany school system had their annual first group meeting Monday before classes start Thursday. The county district staff were to have theirs today. It was not unlike a pep rally. While there may have been some last-minute anxiety or jitters, especially for new teachers, everyone was clearly excited and optimistic about […]
By Lisa Bryant General Manager There are many anxious parents getting their children ready for school. This seems, on the surface, a simple task. Wake the kids up, feed them breakfast and send them off to school. Easy, right? If only that were true. It will take a few weeks to get them in bed […]
School starts next week and almost everyone will have to readjust from their summer routines and habits to a fall, winter and spring pattern of living. Many things that change are obvious and are tied to the daily class schedule, later to be added to with those for extra-curricular activities. One that is mentioned every […]
By Camille Anding Perhaps an island in a faraway place with a spring of fresh water, tropical fruit trees and a food airdrop once a month could be remote enough. Maybe a mountain top with a tree house and monkeys for company would make for sufficient separation. A ship of converted pirates sailing the seven […]
School starts again next week and parents are no doubt scrambling to buy clothes and supplies and take care of other related details. One thing they should not put off to the last minute is making sure children are up to date on their vaccinations. Nobody likes to get shots. A few people think they […]
Race relations in Union County are not perfect. But thanks to assertive action in the 1960s we have been able to avoid the divisiveness that has torn many cities. And although we can no longer sleep guarded only by an unlocked screen door as we could 60 years ago, our community is still largely violence-free. […]
- Urchins host Hamilton in Thursday’s home opener August 25, 2016
- Macedonia news August 30, 2016
- Hurricane news August 30, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news August 30, 2016
- IRS warns of back-to-school scams; encourages students, parents, schools to stay alert August 30, 2016
- Local schools do well in ACT test results August 30, 2016
- County sets public hearing for coming year’s budget August 30, 2016
- Union County Health and Rehab receives top rating from CMS August 30, 2016
- American Legion to sponsor Patriot Day program Sept. 9 August 30, 2016
- Labor Day holiday to affect community services August 30, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...