The theme is Thanksgiving from pilgrim performers in elementary schools to Facebook posts to homeless shelter drives. It’s a holiday to help us focus on our blessings, thanks to George Washington’s proclamation in 1789, “as a day of public thanksgiving and prayers to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Dear Editor, I read with interest the report on the Board of Alderman meeting published in the November 9th paper. The residents of Eastview Street ask for and received approval for speed tables in their neighborhood. I noted that some of the alderman were concerned about a “snowballing effect.” That seems to suggest that speeding […]
Fake news. More and more people are being gulled by it, lately including broadcast networks. Some TV folks have had to apologize for passing on fabricated stories, some have failed to apologize, and in most cases, regardless, people still may believe the lies until they are proven wrong, usually at some cost to their credibility […]
By Lisa Bryant General Manager The New Albany Gazette held an open house on Thursday afternoon to let readers, members of the community and friends come by and see our new location downtown. We had a large number of people to come by, visit and tour our building. If you did not get to make […]
The Alzheimer’s Association Walk to End Alzheimer’s® is the world’s largest event to raise awareness and funds for Alzheimer’s care, support and research. The Northeast Mississippi Walk will be held Saturday, November 12, at Veterans Park in Tupelo. Registration will begin at 8:30 a.m.; opening ceremonies will start at 9:30 and the Walk […]
To the editor: I want to thank so many people for all their help and participation in Monday night’s trunk or treat in Myrtle. I want to thank the Town of Myrtle, the participating churches: Beulah Baptist, Amaziah Baptist, New Hope Baptist, Greater New Hope Baptist, Faith Assembly of God. Specifically, I would like to […]
There had been no company announcement Monday but city officials said a construction permit was issued that day for construction of a Cracker Barrel Old Country Store here, and site preparation had begun by the end of the day. There has been speculation and anticipation for a year since it was learned, amid a flurry […]
By Lisa Bryant General Manager On Friday we will celebrate Veterans Day and honor those who have served in the many branches of the armed forces. As I voted on Tuesday I thought of the thousands of men and women who have fought to protect my right to vote and who fight to keep us […]
We can’t say it with enthusiasm, but we can say it with sincerity. Go vote next Tuesday. We suspect many citizens would simply prefer to stay home, and we fail to understand how anyone could be enthusiastic about either of the two major candidates. Each is hated by approximately half the country, and that is […]
Letter to the editor: Monday, Sept. 19, a terrible accident resulting in a loss of life happened in the early morning of this day. My prayers to the family and all those who are grieving – life for this family will never be the dame nor the truck driver involved. The “Daily Journal” and the […]
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...