“Free” sounds like a deal that is hard to beat. That’s certainly the case with the back-to-school health fair at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday. The annual event always draws crowds and deservedly so. Aimed at children up to 12 years old, the fair has plenty of valuable information for […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Everyone in the New Albany school system had their annual first group meeting Monday before classes start Thursday. The county district staff were to have theirs today. It was not unlike a pep rally. While there may have been some last-minute anxiety or jitters, especially for new teachers, everyone was clearly excited and optimistic about […]
By Lisa Bryant General Manager There are many anxious parents getting their children ready for school. This seems, on the surface, a simple task. Wake the kids up, feed them breakfast and send them off to school. Easy, right? If only that were true. It will take a few weeks to get them in bed […]
School starts next week and almost everyone will have to readjust from their summer routines and habits to a fall, winter and spring pattern of living. Many things that change are obvious and are tied to the daily class schedule, later to be added to with those for extra-curricular activities. One that is mentioned every […]
By Camille Anding Perhaps an island in a faraway place with a spring of fresh water, tropical fruit trees and a food airdrop once a month could be remote enough. Maybe a mountain top with a tree house and monkeys for company would make for sufficient separation. A ship of converted pirates sailing the seven […]
School starts again next week and parents are no doubt scrambling to buy clothes and supplies and take care of other related details. One thing they should not put off to the last minute is making sure children are up to date on their vaccinations. Nobody likes to get shots. A few people think they […]
Race relations in Union County are not perfect. But thanks to assertive action in the 1960s we have been able to avoid the divisiveness that has torn many cities. And although we can no longer sleep guarded only by an unlocked screen door as we could 60 years ago, our community is still largely violence-free. […]
The Union County Fair and Livestock Show was this past week. We spent some time there and generally enjoyed it. The fair was the result of a lot of hard work, planning and consideration on how to make it better and more relevant to the community. Almost anyone could find something of interest, whether it […]
By Lisa Bryant General Manager My family and I went to the Union County Fair this past week and a good time was had by all. I would like to commend all the people who worked so hard before and after the fair to give our families a family-friendly event. I have three nieces who […]
This past week the Magnolia Civic Center Board formally requested permission to hire a part-time director for the facility. This is something we recommended a couple of weeks ago, although it hardly required genius to come up with the idea. The benefits far outweigh any potential negatives. Up to this point, the board has paid […]
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...