Our community is good about realizing the value of our history and working to preserve it. We have the opportunity to participate in an updated part of that heritage happening this week in the form of the Union County Fair and Livestock Show. Fifty years ago the fair was a major community event. It emphasized […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
By Lisa Bryant General Manager We added a new member to our home, a 10-month-old Boxer, in February of this year and she is a wonderful dog to have around. We have one problem with her: she loves everyone and thinks everyone should love her. Thankfully she is a good watchdog. She will alert us […]
Although New Albany has some full-time paid firefighters, both the city and county rely heavily on volunteers. For years, many considered the volunteers to be little more than yahoos who liked to drive their pickup trucks fast with lights flashing. After a fire, particularly out in the county, people would say sardonically, “Well, at least […]
This week we celebrated our independence from tyranny and the right to a representative government. That government is not without its flaws, however, as witnessed by the low regard in which many people hold elected officials. It used to be, we think, that when someone talked about an elected official, he or she was also […]
By Lisa Bryant General Manager As we were enjoying all the festivities of the 4th of July Holiday, the Highway Patrol, Sheriff’s Department and City Police Department were all out working more shifts than normal. Each year we expect to see these men and women working extra hours out patrolling the highways and streets to […]
A couple of weeks ago we offered the opinion that Flag Day is a much-overlooked holiday and suggested people think more about the meaning and origins of our flag. We saw it as a unifying symbol for everyone in our country, especially given the divisive political climate of today. This past Saturday a community FreedomFest was […]
By Lisa Bryant, General Manager Everyone knows that the 4th of July is known as Independence Day. That was the day that representatives of the 13 colonies declared their independence from Great Britain. But did you know that John Adams believed that July 2 was the correct date on which to celebrate the birth of […]
We have mixed feelings about New Albany aldermen endorsing – if only tacitly – the sale of alcohol at city events on city property. The consumption of alcohol is legal on private property and we agree the decision to drink is the individual’s own business. That is, unless the individual drinks enough that it becomes […]
By Lisa Bryant I am a fan of Pinterest and have gone to it more than once to find ideas and themes for parties, etc. but not everything on Pinterest is for the everyday person without some carpentry or chemist skills. I tried to make a sun catcher with multi colors to hang from your porch […]
Last week I ran across a folded piece of paper in the back of a drawer and saw that it was a “Playhouse” article that I probably meant to type and achieve. It described a grandchildren event during a summer vacation. Since the Birmingham grands are with us this week, I was considering re-using the […]
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...