As a citizen of Mississippi, I understand that state government officials are tasked with maintaining a balanced budget and keeping spending in check during difficult economic times. As Executive Director of the Mississippi Library Commission, I am truly concerned for communities across our state due to the outcome of the recent legislative session. Along with […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
By Lisa Bryant, General Manager Memorial Day seems to be the unofficial beginning of summer. Graduation was last week and school will start back the first week of August. That only gives families about eight weeks to work in their vacations. Many have booked their vacations or are making plans to head out to their […]
The beginning of summer is historically a slow time for newspapers. People are more focused on vacations, the end of school and simply enjoying the good weather. But a slow news period hardly means there is nothing to do. Even if you are unable to take a real vacation, the community has plenty of activities […]
By Camille Anding The restaurant was one of those tight-seating kind. I was positioned across from Othel, but the stranger seated to my left was close enough to share my dessert. She smiled as she slid into the booth beside me and that’s when her fragrance drifted to our table. It was amazingly delightful and […]
Union County once again played host to the state bluegrass championship competition and Down from the Hills heritage music festival this past Saturday. Musicians from five states competed for bragging rights and $8,000 in prize money. There were single and group categories for various instruments as well as beginner and master levels. The weather cooperated […]
Downtown New Albany is just about out of commercial space and, perhaps even more serious, out of parking space. Not everyone thinks that “downtown” ends at Camp Street and the Tallahatchie River, so businesses have plenty of room to establish themselves beyond those and still qualify as being in the general downtown area. But thanks […]
By Lisa Bryant General Manager Memorial Day is not just a holiday where we get a day off work to have a cookout with our friends and family. It is a day to gather our friends and family together to honor those who made it possible for us to have a cookout in a safe […]
This week, nearly 300 local students will leave high school behind. A generation ago, the accepted next step for many was to move on to a four-year college if at all possible. Some might go the route of a community college first, but it seemed to be accepted that the gold standard for students was […]
By Camille Anding “It’s GONE!” I heard Othel from the garage after I had just walked into the kitchen. I hurried back to the garage and questioned, “What’s gone?” “My bike! It’s not here.” For some thirty-nine years, Othel and I pulled in and out of our carport on the Etta hill. The well-planned carport […]
We don’t think New Albany Mayor Tim Kent did anything to get on the wrong side of State Treasurer Lynn Fitch but one could not tell that from her published comments last week. Part of a proposed approximately $250 million bond bill appropriated $100,000 to New Albany – one of a laundry list of special […]
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series