By Camille Anding The restaurant was one of those tight-seating kind. I was positioned across from Othel, but the stranger seated to my left was close enough to share my dessert. She smiled as she slid into the booth beside me and that’s when her fragrance drifted to our table. It was amazingly delightful and […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Union County once again played host to the state bluegrass championship competition and Down from the Hills heritage music festival this past Saturday. Musicians from five states competed for bragging rights and $8,000 in prize money. There were single and group categories for various instruments as well as beginner and master levels. The weather cooperated […]
Downtown New Albany is just about out of commercial space and, perhaps even more serious, out of parking space. Not everyone thinks that “downtown” ends at Camp Street and the Tallahatchie River, so businesses have plenty of room to establish themselves beyond those and still qualify as being in the general downtown area. But thanks […]
By Lisa Bryant General Manager Memorial Day is not just a holiday where we get a day off work to have a cookout with our friends and family. It is a day to gather our friends and family together to honor those who made it possible for us to have a cookout in a safe […]
This week, nearly 300 local students will leave high school behind. A generation ago, the accepted next step for many was to move on to a four-year college if at all possible. Some might go the route of a community college first, but it seemed to be accepted that the gold standard for students was […]
By Camille Anding “It’s GONE!” I heard Othel from the garage after I had just walked into the kitchen. I hurried back to the garage and questioned, “What’s gone?” “My bike! It’s not here.” For some thirty-nine years, Othel and I pulled in and out of our carport on the Etta hill. The well-planned carport […]
We don’t think New Albany Mayor Tim Kent did anything to get on the wrong side of State Treasurer Lynn Fitch but one could not tell that from her published comments last week. Part of a proposed approximately $250 million bond bill appropriated $100,000 to New Albany – one of a laundry list of special […]
By Lisa Bryant Everyone you talk to is making plans to attend or has attended a graduation from pre-school to college graduations. This is a time that parents see their children move into the next chapter in their lives. I attended my great niece’s pre-school graduation and watched her proudly sing her songs and receive […]
By Camille Anding When man walked on the moon, we moon-gazers were amazed. It was an incredible feat accomplished in a relatively short time when considering our nation’s age. Everyone who recognized the “giant step for mankind” knew we were living in an age like no other. It stretched my imagination and my amazement. What […]
State Rep. Jay Hughes, who represents the 12th District and is from Lafayette County, is rapidly gaining a reputation as the legislator least likely to ever get a bill passed. A Democrat, he does not hesitate to clash with the Speaker or Governor himself and is certain to bring the wrath of the entrenched political […]
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...