Ho-hum. Our politicians are so predictable. Election year is coming and with it – you guessed it – talk of cutting Mississippi taxes. Our governor and lieutenant governor are even sparring over who gets credit for bringing it up first. It’s so blatantly political that it wouldn’t deserve comment if the future of our state […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Even I, an avid football fan, have a little trouble sitting through the National Football League’s preseason exhibition games. After the first few minutes, the games turn into an exhibition of rookies, hoping to make the team, and backup players who often just seem to be going through the motions waiting for time to run […]
The United Way of Northeast Mississippi has kicked off its 2014 fundraising campaign by setting a goal of $2,425,000, which is $25,000 more than last year’s goal. The campaign got a quiet start this year as the United Way helped distribute school supplies and backpacks to children throughout the region. In Union County, that has […]
School has begun and that means it is time for the Back to School Health Fair at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County. About 1,000 people, including as many has 500 children, are expected to turn out at the hospital from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 16, for a free health check, dental check, vision screening […]
Jenny was prepared for the worst when she was wheeled into her room after bladder surgery at Baptist Memorial Hospital in Oxford and was met by a priest. It must be really bad, she thought, if the Rev. Paul Stephens had driven all the way from Tupelo on Friday to be there when she came […]
A fourth annual Tallahatchie RiverFest Community Luncheon is approaching and tickets have gone on sale for this event, which will be held Friday, Sept. 26. The kickoff luncheon was begun three years ago to help boost the literary aspects of RiverFest to the forefront by putting more emphasis on the William Faulkner Literary Competition, which […]
School starts Friday in Union County schools and next Monday in the New Albany schools, which means it’s time for all of us to slow down and start paying closer attention to our driving. Many drivers speed in residential areas, often driving 35 to 45 miles per hour in areas where the maximum safe speed […]
We had just started looking at the menus at our favorite Oxford restaurant when our son Joe said he couldn’t find the jambalaya, his favorite there. I started looking for it. It was gone, except on a little list of daily specials. It was a Friday special; this was Saturday. Then I noticed that the […]
Two recent items in the news point to the state of the economy in New Albany and Union County. First, our unemployment rate in Union County for June is 6.9 percent, which is the lowest among all the counties in Northeast Mississippi. Lafayette County has historically had the lowest rate. Lafayette’s rate is 7.4 percent. […]
Molly the beagle is sprawled out on Jenny’s side of the bed, her head nestled against the pillow. But she is not happy. She thinks she is only Jenny’s dog and Jenny is not here. She will be back Friday evening from a week-long trip to visit her parents in the northern Kentucky suburbs of […]
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...