Mississippi teachers, who are among the lowest paid in the country, would get a $4,250 pay raise spread out over four years under a bill approved by the state House of Representatives Wednesday. The bill still must be considered by the Senate before it would become law, but prospects are considered pretty good. Mississippi teachers […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
By Dr. Linda Mitchell When you hear the word “valentine,” what is the first word that comes to your mind? Is it heart? Red? Cupid? Love? Card? Candy? Flowers? Oh-no? If you’re like the majority of folks then the first word you think of is “heart.” Polls reveal the second word that folks claim […]
Newspapers are not dying. The truth is most Mississippi newspapers are doing just fine, and many are thriving, with readership growth and increased advertising revenues. That was the message I brought home from the Mississippi Press Association Mid-Winter Conference last week in Jackson. The problem is that, despite being in the communication business, those of […]
A Mississippi attorney general’s official opinion has confirmed what local school officials thought was the case, that the $300,000 a year Toyota pays Union County in lieu of school taxes can only be used for county, not city, schools. As part of its agreement when the plant was built, Toyota must give Pontotoc, Lee and […]
It has been 10 days since a fire and explosion shattered the early morning calm in Union County. That was when the JNS Biodiesel plan on Highway 15 just north of New Albany caught fire, which led to a series of big and small explosions that continued into the next day. Fire and emergency management […]
My waist size and height total 110 inches, just as they have for years. Nothing has changed. Well, that’s sort of true. The total hasn’t changed, but that’s a little misleading. The numbers have. That became clear last Saturday when I decided it was time to clean out my closet. The rod that holds my […]
The New Albany Hotbed Classic, which has become one of northeast Mississippi’s premiere prep sports events, had another successful outing Saturday at Memorial Gym on the New Albany Middle School campus. “The Hotbed, often imitated, never duplicated” is the motto of the event, and the tournament, which is sponsored by New Albany Kiwanis Club, has […]
By Dr. Linda Mitchell There was a time, believe it or not, when chicken wings were thought of as scraps given to the dog or tossed out with the garbage. Nowadays, they are all the rage as appetizers and party fare. They rank on the top of Super Bowl food polls as one of the […]
Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County has taken new steps to provide more services to newborns at the hospital. The announcement of a partnership between Baptist and North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo to enhance neonatal services is good news for those women having babies here in New Albany. Under the program, a remotely controlled robot allows […]
Christmas is fast approaching and time is short for providing holiday help for families in need in Union County through the Gazette’s Sharing at Christmas program. Frankly, we are a bit concerned about the pace of contributions o support the program that has been sponsored by the Gazette for 39 years. We have set a […]
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...