Fifty years ago, my college friend Dan Dana and I were standing, with our suitcases, beside a road on the outskirts of Kansas City. We were trying to hitch a ride, the beginning of a summer trip to California and back. No, we weren’t crazy, or at least we didn’t think so at the time. […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The hoopla surrounding the grand opening is over and now Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County’s new emergency department is busy with patients. The $12 million emergency department, located on the back side of the hospital campus, was scheduled to open at 6 a.m. Monday, but actually saw the first patient at 5:57 a.m. The modern facility […]
Let’s get right to the point: We don’t think the police department in Myrtle needs a drone. We were surprised to see in an item in the Gazette last week that the Town of Myrtle had decided to use $3,000 in federal tax money to purchase an unmanned aerial vehicle. These are not the kind […]
The Union County Fair and Livestock Show, which bills itself as “the best little county fair in Mississippi,” is under way at the fairgrounds in West New Albany. The traditional fair events are in full swing with a variety of activities as well as a full carnival. Today is Seniors Day and Youth Night with […]
Who would have ever thought I would have spent Sunday afternoon watching two teams I know nothing about play football, or what passes for football in the rest of the world? Not me, I can assure you of that. Growing up in the ‘50s in Missouri, I thought I knew quite a bit about sports. […]
The question of allowing the sale or consumption of beer and light wine (wine coolers) at special events on city property is expected to be on the August meeting agenda of the New Albany Board of Aldermen. Examples of such events cited by city officials include arts receptions or exhibit openings at the Union County […]
You would have had to be there. Just hearing the story retold doesn’t do it justice. But we’ll try. The New Albany Board of Aldermen spent part of its meeting last week discussing chickens and roosters in residential areas of the city. The topic came up because Ward One Alderman Jeff Olson asked that an […]
Nearly 25 years ago I was given some advice, sort of a warning really, about becoming too dependent on information stored in a computer. The computer technician at the South Carolina newspaper that I was editing at the time suggested keeping a paper copy of anything that was really important in any file on the […]
Today we celebrate Independence Day. Around the country, we do it in many ways – with a picnic, hot dogs, a parade, fireworks, a family reunion or a concert. For some, perhaps most or all of the above. For others, it may just be a quiet day off from work. However we do it, we […]
The effort of the Union County Development Association to reinvent itself is beginning to pay off. The organization struggled a bit with its mission after much of its traditional work—economic development, marketing and tourism, as well as Tallahatchie RiverFest—was siphoned off to others. But we see progress being made. Under Phil Nanney’s leadership, the group […]
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- The Playhouse December 6, 2016
- Governor lifts burn ban December 6, 2016
- Deadline for letters to Santa is Friday, Dec. 9 December 6, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday December 6, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday