“How marvelous – how wonderful . . .” It was another familiar hymn, and the mega sanctuary of voices swelled into the lofty ceilings with this praise song. Once again the words were retrieved from my childhood, but these were adult words singing of our indebtedness to our Savior. The chorus carried the heaviest words […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The Tallahatchie River Players are providing an opportunity for family holiday entertainment while supporting a good community cause. The group will present Hee Haw Country Christmas at 7 p.m. Thursday and Friday, Dec. 5 and 6, in the Cine Theater of the Magnolia Civic Center. The program will include seasonal jokes and Christmas songs. A […]
Today’s my wedding anniversary. I could brag about how I remembered it, but technically that wouldn’t be the case. Actually, it wouldn’t be the case, technically or otherwise. I knew it because of the bouquet of flowers in the middle of the kitchen table. They arrived Saturday, brought by a woman from a local flower […]
Gov. Phil Bryant’s state budget proposal for the coming year again is a disappointing one for our public schools. The governor has proposed increasing the kindergarten through grade 12 budget by 1 percent, or $22.4 million, but $16 million of the increase would go to a capital expense fund for building repairs. In contrast, the […]
The decision by the CREATE Foundation to give its McLean Award for Philanthropy to BNA Bank should come as no surprise to anyone who has been around New Albany for a while. The bank has been a part of community life in this city for more than a hundred years. The bank and its employees […]
This is an exciting time here at the Gazette as we publish two glossy publications this week that we think you will want to keep. Inside today’s paper you’ll find the 24-page glossy Winter Sports Preview. Now that football is almost over, we’ve turned our attention to basketball, soccer and the cheerleading squads are New […]
Time is growing short for you to help in this year’s United Way of Northeast Mississippi campaign. The United Way, which serves seven counties, including Union, has reached 80 percent of its $2.4 million goal. So far, $1,913,968 has been pledged in the 2013 campaign. It’s important that Union Countians pledge their share to the […]
By Charlie Mitchell Oxford Church rec halls and Sunday school rooms all over Mississippi are pretty busy places on weeknights. So are community centers and community college classrooms. Hundreds of residents – no exact tally is available – are facing a Dec. 31 deadline to complete their high school equivalency diplomas as part of their […]
A low voter turn-out was expected for the special election to choose a new medical examiner-investigator this week. That’s too bad, particularly since the race had such a large number of candidates. That much interest in participating in our democratic process is not often seen. Granted, the office of coroner is not viewed as desirable […]
We hope you will pause a moment in your day Monday to honor all those who have served in our armed forces. It is Veterans Day. The main observance here will be handled by the American Legion Potter-Henry-Lowrey Post 72 and will be at noon at the Union County Courthouse. Veterans Day and Memorial Day […]
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series