It was about 5:15 Thursday evening and I was driving home in the rain, thinking about how disappointed I would be if I were a child because it was too wet to Trick or Treat. But when I turned the corner into our neighborhood, I saw several children dashing up to houses from their parents’ […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Downtown is being decked out in holiday wreaths and that means one of the area’s most successful events is coming up this Sunday. The New Albany Main Street Association’s annual Holiday Open House will be held from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday Between 2,000 and 3,000 people are expected to turn out to see […]
By Sid Salter Politicians talk earnestly, passionately and with historical flourishes about cutting federal spending. Here’s the rub – the Congressional Budget Office projects that the federal government will spend $3.602 trillion in Fiscal Year 2014 and collect $3.042 trillion in revenues, which will leave a projected federal budget deficit of some $600 billion. As […]
November is here, and with it comes a greater probability of severe weather. Even though we think of tornadoes in early spring, the fact is we have almost as many in November in Mississippi as any other time. We again want to suggest two things to help make sure that you are provided the latest […]
When we lived in Florence, Ala., my wife used to feel slighted at Halloween. Several of our neighbors kept their lights off, so few kids made the trek by our house to get a holiday treat. Well, be careful what you wish for. Here in New Albany, we mostly feel overwhelmed each year, as hundreds […]
Next Tuesday we will conduct a special election in Union County for the office of county coroner/medical examiner. A low turnout is expected and that is unfortunate because recent events show how important electing a quality individual is to an office that usually operates with little fanfare and in relative obscurity. The reason we are […]
Today the Gazette starts its 39th annual Sharing at Christmas push for money to help provide holiday help for families in need in Union County. Although the Sharing at Christmas program has been sponsored by the Gazette all these years, it really is about the community, not the newspaper. It’s about all those who provide […]
There I was Thursday night – sitting on the couch, watching college football and petting my dog (I do that a lot). Then the phone rang. The caller ID showed it was my boss, Dan Sykes, calling from Kentucky. It must be some final budget detail, I thought, as I answered the phone. We had […]
Sunday afternoon was a time to celebrate community as we had the grand opening ceremonies in New Albany, Houston and Pontotoc for the Tanglefoot Trail. The more than 44-mile paved trail starting in New Albany and ending in Houston already is attracting lots of walkers, bikers, joggers and just-plain nature lovers. The trail, once followed […]
By Charlie Mitchell OXFORD – Tracking. Mining. Harvesting. Drilling. If those words bring to mind Daniel Boone, coal cars wending along railroad tracks, cotton fields in October and dentists, you are over 60. If you think “social media,” you are under 25. Today’s column is about the latter – Facebook, Twitter, Vine, Pinterest, Instagram and […]
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert