Why do they call them “smart” TVs anyway? Mine is not very smart, at least when I try to operate it. I was reminded of that when Jenny and I were watching an episode of “The Mentalist,” one of our favorite TV programs, which we had recorded on our DVR. Jenny sometimes gets a little […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
This week 277 seniors will receive their high school diplomas from the New Albany and Union County schools, compared to 301 last year and 274 the year before. On Thursday, 60 will graduate at East Union Attendance Center and 46 will get diplomas at Ingomar Attendance Center. On Friday, 40 will graduate at the Myrtle […]
The receipt of a $20,000 federal grant to help further develop the local farmers’ market is good news for both the market and downtown New Albany. After a study is conducted to determine the best way to improve the market, the Appalachian Regional Commission will provide up to $20,000 to help implement it. New Albany […]
The end of an era. That’s what my sister, Donna, said after signing the paperwork last week to sell the cabin that my father built on the Lake of the Ozarks, near Camdenton, Mo. It is, too, in a way. The cabin was the only remnant left from our childhood growing up in Missouri. My […]
The sounds of fiddling, guitars and banjos will fill the air this Saturday as the community hosts the annual Down From the Hills Mississippi Bluegrass Championships. The annual festival, which started here more than a decade ago, brings competitors in fiddle, guitar, banjo, dobro and mandolin together from around Mississippi and neighboring states. It also […]
Two events this week reminded us of the good work that the folks at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County do in outreach programs in our community. On Monday the hospital conducted its annual Baby Fair, with lots of information, vendors, gifts and refreshments in the hospital lobby. Parents and prospective parents could find out just about […]
Five years ago tomorrow, I arrived in New Albany to help out at the Gazette while a search was conducted for a new publisher. My job description at the time was “roving publisher,” meaning I was to go where I was needed to fill in when a vacancy occurred in the company, which owned more […]
The importance of tourism – and attracting the kinds of tourists who stay awhile and spend money in the local economy – was the focus last week of a talk at the annual meeting of the Union County Historical Society. Sarah McCullough, who manages cultural heritage development for the state tourism division, stressed the need […]
The Toyota executive who spoke at the annual meeting of the Union County Development Association delivered some sobering news. Jackie Hogan, human resources general manager at the Toyota plant in Blue Springs, said the company has no plans to expand its plant at the current time. Rumors have persisted since the plant opened that the […]
The violent storms and tornadoes that swept across much of our state Monday serve as a reminder that we always need to be prepared for whatever develops with the weather. It was a miracle that lives were not lost in Tupelo as the tornado crossed McCullough Boulevard and Gloster Street, devastating houses, churches, hotels and […]
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...