The Union County coroner’s race is over, the special election votes counted, the runoff conducted, and the winner named. It was a grueling, but important, process whittling 13 candidates down to one – Pam Boman. We think those voters who participated, and it was less than a quarter of the registered voters in the first […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Our beagle, Molly, and I were moving along quickly in the 23-degree temperature and brisk breeze Sunday morning. Molly was in no mood to dawdle on her morning walk, and I wasn’t either. My stocking cap and bubble coat were doing their best. I call it my bubble coat because the quilting is so puffy […]
Thanksgiving is here tomorrow, for many of us a time for family gatherings, turkey, pumpkin pie and all the trimmings. We hope at this time you will be thankful for what you have and also take a moment to share with others as we enter the holiday season. We are talking about the Gazette’s Sharing […]
“How marvelous – how wonderful . . .” It was another familiar hymn, and the mega sanctuary of voices swelled into the lofty ceilings with this praise song. Once again the words were retrieved from my childhood, but these were adult words singing of our indebtedness to our Savior. The chorus carried the heaviest words […]
The Tallahatchie River Players are providing an opportunity for family holiday entertainment while supporting a good community cause. The group will present Hee Haw Country Christmas at 7 p.m. Thursday and Friday, Dec. 5 and 6, in the Cine Theater of the Magnolia Civic Center. The program will include seasonal jokes and Christmas songs. A […]
Today’s my wedding anniversary. I could brag about how I remembered it, but technically that wouldn’t be the case. Actually, it wouldn’t be the case, technically or otherwise. I knew it because of the bouquet of flowers in the middle of the kitchen table. They arrived Saturday, brought by a woman from a local flower […]
Gov. Phil Bryant’s state budget proposal for the coming year again is a disappointing one for our public schools. The governor has proposed increasing the kindergarten through grade 12 budget by 1 percent, or $22.4 million, but $16 million of the increase would go to a capital expense fund for building repairs. In contrast, the […]
The decision by the CREATE Foundation to give its McLean Award for Philanthropy to BNA Bank should come as no surprise to anyone who has been around New Albany for a while. The bank has been a part of community life in this city for more than a hundred years. The bank and its employees […]
This is an exciting time here at the Gazette as we publish two glossy publications this week that we think you will want to keep. Inside today’s paper you’ll find the 24-page glossy Winter Sports Preview. Now that football is almost over, we’ve turned our attention to basketball, soccer and the cheerleading squads are New […]
Time is growing short for you to help in this year’s United Way of Northeast Mississippi campaign. The United Way, which serves seven counties, including Union, has reached 80 percent of its $2.4 million goal. So far, $1,913,968 has been pledged in the 2013 campaign. It’s important that Union Countians pledge their share to the […]
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...