October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and each year all the newspapers in our group produce a four-week series of stories relating to breast cancer in addition to a special one-time section in the Daily Journal. Another regular feature each year is the luncheon sponsored by Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County and the Jones Clinic. Although […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
It’s been an on-going saga in my life this year – what to keep and what to discard. The irony in those decisions has been the value placed on the items. It’s been easier to part with a large piece of furniture or family antique than it has an old letter or kindergarten art work. […]
Whatever happened to Saturday? That’s was my thinking when I crawled out of bed and headed outside with the dogs for their morning pit stop on Sunday. It seemed to disappear, just as the whole week had. Coming off a whirlwind trip the weekend before to Kansas City, the week seemed to fly by. By […]
Visitors from several states will descend on New Albany this Saturday for the 28th annual Mississippi on Wheels Charity Car Show. Car enthusiasts, mechanics, restoration specials and just people looking for something interesting to do will converge on the area around the Union County Courthouse for the event. This year the Lions Club of New […]
For years Trick or Treat Downtown, sponsored by the New Albany Main Street Association, was a wholesome child-friendly October event that attracted hundreds of kids and their parents downtown. Scores of kids participated each year in a costume contest that the Gazette helped organize, lots of candy was given out by the association and local […]
Social media seems to be taking over the world. It’s not so much 1984 and Big Brother (even though the NSA is keeping up with all electronic communications) but more that we are all turning into individual limited-function terminals. People are sharing information more and more and, conversely, information is having less and less value. […]
For the past two weeks, I’ve been worried that I would walk into my 50th high-school class reunion and find a bunch of people with walkers and oxygen canisters, like my parents used in their later years. My wife, Jenny, scoffed at the idea that somehow my classmates had gotten old and I had not. […]
Twelve years ago Jill Smith, director of the Union County Heritage Museum, decided to put together a program to demonstrate the life of early pioneers. The result was Heritage Pioneer Days, which has become one of the largest events in town for school classes and families with young children. This year’s event is coming up […]
The United Way campaign for 2013 has been going on since August, and up to now the campaign has raised 22 percent of its goal of $2.4 million. A number of major groups, including those involved in health care and manufacturing, have yet to finish their employee campaigns so the total may be misleading. But […]
I watched a radio show Saturday morning. You read that right. Saturday morning my wife Jenny, son Joe, and I drove to Oxford to watch a radio program. Why would I do that, you ask? Why do men do anything? To please their spouse, of course. It all started a number of years ago when […]
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series