There I was Thursday night – sitting on the couch, watching college football and petting my dog (I do that a lot). Then the phone rang. The caller ID showed it was my boss, Dan Sykes, calling from Kentucky. It must be some final budget detail, I thought, as I answered the phone. We had […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Sunday afternoon was a time to celebrate community as we had the grand opening ceremonies in New Albany, Houston and Pontotoc for the Tanglefoot Trail. The more than 44-mile paved trail starting in New Albany and ending in Houston already is attracting lots of walkers, bikers, joggers and just-plain nature lovers. The trail, once followed […]
By Charlie Mitchell OXFORD – Tracking. Mining. Harvesting. Drilling. If those words bring to mind Daniel Boone, coal cars wending along railroad tracks, cotton fields in October and dentists, you are over 60. If you think “social media,” you are under 25. Today’s column is about the latter – Facebook, Twitter, Vine, Pinterest, Instagram and […]
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and each year all the newspapers in our group produce a four-week series of stories relating to breast cancer in addition to a special one-time section in the Daily Journal. Another regular feature each year is the luncheon sponsored by Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County and the Jones Clinic. Although […]
It’s been an on-going saga in my life this year – what to keep and what to discard. The irony in those decisions has been the value placed on the items. It’s been easier to part with a large piece of furniture or family antique than it has an old letter or kindergarten art work. […]
Whatever happened to Saturday? That’s was my thinking when I crawled out of bed and headed outside with the dogs for their morning pit stop on Sunday. It seemed to disappear, just as the whole week had. Coming off a whirlwind trip the weekend before to Kansas City, the week seemed to fly by. By […]
Visitors from several states will descend on New Albany this Saturday for the 28th annual Mississippi on Wheels Charity Car Show. Car enthusiasts, mechanics, restoration specials and just people looking for something interesting to do will converge on the area around the Union County Courthouse for the event. This year the Lions Club of New […]
For years Trick or Treat Downtown, sponsored by the New Albany Main Street Association, was a wholesome child-friendly October event that attracted hundreds of kids and their parents downtown. Scores of kids participated each year in a costume contest that the Gazette helped organize, lots of candy was given out by the association and local […]
Social media seems to be taking over the world. It’s not so much 1984 and Big Brother (even though the NSA is keeping up with all electronic communications) but more that we are all turning into individual limited-function terminals. People are sharing information more and more and, conversely, information is having less and less value. […]
For the past two weeks, I’ve been worried that I would walk into my 50th high-school class reunion and find a bunch of people with walkers and oxygen canisters, like my parents used in their later years. My wife, Jenny, scoffed at the idea that somehow my classmates had gotten old and I had not. […]
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...