The effort to expand the Union County Heritage Museum got a major boost this week when the Mississippi Legislature agreed to provide $500,000 to help pay for the project. The money, part of a $200 million statewide bond bill, would pay a little more than one-third of the cost of the project that will more […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
March used to be one of my favorite months. By mid-March, Jenny and I would be out on the patio sitting in our swivel rockers and “surveying our kingdom.” That’s our euphemism for admiring the new growth on the flowers and shrubs, watching the birds at the backyard feeders and soaking up the warmth from […]
The Mississippi Legislature has taken two small steps to bolster public education in our state. In the current session, legislators agreed to increase funding by $10 million over the current year for local school districts under the Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula. That is still $255 million short of the funding required for the legislature […]
Gov. Phil Bryant has done the right thing by signing into law a bill that allows local school districts to decide when to start their school year, even though he did it for the wrong reason. The new law repeals one passed in 2012 that mandated local public schools could not open before the third […]
When is it time to retire? It’s a hard question to answer. My father worked hard at jobs that mostly required manual labor and when he turned 65, he was ready. It also was the expected retirement age at the company where he worked.He and my mother lived on their Social Security checks, along with […]
The new water tower under construction near the intersection of State Highway 15 and Bankhead Street will dominate the landscape on the east side of New Albany. The tower presents a unique opportunity for New Albany Light Gas & Water Department in cooperation with the city Board of Aldermen and the New Albany Schools to […]
One of our favorite springtime events is coming up April 4 and 5 at the Union County Fairgrounds. It’s the New Albany Home and Garden Show, which is sponsored by the Union County Master Gardeners group with help from the Mississippi State Extension Service. What started on a relatively small scale has grown into a […]
March is many things – spring break, March Madness, the first flowers of spring and glossy magazines. That’s right – glossy magazines. March is glossy magazine time at the Gazette. This year we will produce two of them. It’s something that keeps our small staff busy, along with publishing two newspapers a week. Today in […]
Spring arrives about noon tomorrow, according to the official charts, and none too soon for us. It was a difficult winter across the nation, with wretched weather along with record snows and low temperatures in some areas. Here in Union County, it wasn’t too pleasant, either, but fortunately we avoided the severe ice – and […]
Mississippi appears on the verge of repealing an ill-advised law that prohibited local public school districts from starting the school year before the third Monday in August. The law, passed in 2012, would have taken effect during the coming school year and would have delayed the start of school until Aug. 18. Schools in northeast […]
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...