March used to be one of my favorite months. By mid-March, Jenny and I would be out on the patio sitting in our swivel rockers and “surveying our kingdom.” That’s our euphemism for admiring the new growth on the flowers and shrubs, watching the birds at the backyard feeders and soaking up the warmth from […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The Mississippi Legislature has taken two small steps to bolster public education in our state. In the current session, legislators agreed to increase funding by $10 million over the current year for local school districts under the Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula. That is still $255 million short of the funding required for the legislature […]
Gov. Phil Bryant has done the right thing by signing into law a bill that allows local school districts to decide when to start their school year, even though he did it for the wrong reason. The new law repeals one passed in 2012 that mandated local public schools could not open before the third […]
When is it time to retire? It’s a hard question to answer. My father worked hard at jobs that mostly required manual labor and when he turned 65, he was ready. It also was the expected retirement age at the company where he worked.He and my mother lived on their Social Security checks, along with […]
The new water tower under construction near the intersection of State Highway 15 and Bankhead Street will dominate the landscape on the east side of New Albany. The tower presents a unique opportunity for New Albany Light Gas & Water Department in cooperation with the city Board of Aldermen and the New Albany Schools to […]
One of our favorite springtime events is coming up April 4 and 5 at the Union County Fairgrounds. It’s the New Albany Home and Garden Show, which is sponsored by the Union County Master Gardeners group with help from the Mississippi State Extension Service. What started on a relatively small scale has grown into a […]
March is many things – spring break, March Madness, the first flowers of spring and glossy magazines. That’s right – glossy magazines. March is glossy magazine time at the Gazette. This year we will produce two of them. It’s something that keeps our small staff busy, along with publishing two newspapers a week. Today in […]
Spring arrives about noon tomorrow, according to the official charts, and none too soon for us. It was a difficult winter across the nation, with wretched weather along with record snows and low temperatures in some areas. Here in Union County, it wasn’t too pleasant, either, but fortunately we avoided the severe ice – and […]
Mississippi appears on the verge of repealing an ill-advised law that prohibited local public school districts from starting the school year before the third Monday in August. The law, passed in 2012, would have taken effect during the coming school year and would have delayed the start of school until Aug. 18. Schools in northeast […]
I have tried to remember, but I can’t place who told me to do it. I just remember that I was supposed to make lots of copies of the newspaper because someone wanted them. It was an odd request really. Make a bunch of copies of the May 29, 1978, edition of the Greenville, S.C., […]
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- The Playhouse December 6, 2016
- Governor lifts burn ban December 6, 2016
- Deadline for letters to Santa is Friday, Dec. 9 December 6, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday December 6, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday