My father used to say that it was a good thing I went to college, because I never would have made it if I had to work for a living. He wasn’t kidding, either. By working for a living, he meant physical labor, the kind that he did all of his work life until he […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
New Albany reaches a new milestone next week as movers and shakers in business and development from all over the state converge on our city for a two-day conference. More than 100 people from out of town are expected Tuesday and Wednesday to attend the Mississippi Conference on Business and Entrepreneur Development, hosted by the […]
Customer service runs the gamut in New Albany. One can find examples of prompt, courteous service with accurate filling of orders and staff in establishments going the extra mile to solve a problem, or even to prevent one from happening. On the other hand, there are some – mostly habitual offenders – who make customers […]
By Charlie Mitchell OXFORD – There was a dust-up last week about whether Mississippi should ever-ever-ever become a home for nuclear waste. Guess what? Mississippi has been a home for nuclear waste for nearly 30 years. As of 2008, there were 770 metric tons of spent nuclear fuel at the Grand Gulf Nuclear Station in […]
Things I’ve learned in our search for a new church home: 1) Large cities have mega churches as well as small ones. They have a lot of both kinds. 2) Man has discovered a variety of ways to worship. It appears some have not read the Manual. 3) Most churches are oblivious to visitors, but […]
New Albany Elementary School has more than 1,300 students, faculty and staff at the school every school day, but does not have a city police officer at the school. That’s not a misprint. The Board of Alderman has failed for years to budget for a school resource officer at New Albany Elementary even though a […]
For 51 years, I’ve worn glasses. I got my first pair when I was 16, after failing the Missouri vision exam when I applied for my driver’s license. Until that time, I just assumed the world was a bit of a blur to everyone. One of my most vivid memories is putting on my new […]
The New Albany School District again is demonstrating its drive for continuous improvement by successfully competing for a federally financed grant to help students who are struggling academically. New Albany Schools is partnering with the struggling district in Shannon for the five-year grant, administered through the Mississippi Department of Education’s 21st Century Community Learning Center. […]
The construction of a new emergency room complex on the backside of Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County is bringing to the fore a significant problem: traffic flow. The $12 million addition will have 22 exam rooms, two trauma rooms and two triage rooms. It also will mean one of the entrances to the hospital and an […]
It was not what I wanted to hear. A woman who was buying fresh, locally grown tomatoes from the Glenfield market stand on Bankhead Street was asking how much longer they would be available. “Only about another week and they’ll be gone,” the manager said. “After that, we’ll be getting tomatoes for a while from […]
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...