Christmas is fast approaching and time is short for providing holiday help for families in need in Union County through the Gazette’s Sharing at Christmas program. Frankly, we are a bit concerned about the pace of contributions o support the program that has been sponsored by the Gazette for 39 years. We have set a […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Christmas is coming early this year, or at least it seems like it at our house. We’re not even near ready. Oh, the tree has been up for a couple of weeks. And a neighbor walking her dog stopped me to mention how pretty she thinks it looks from the street. If only she knew. […]
We like it. That’s our short response to the proposal for construction of a welcome center at the New Albany trailhead of the recently opened Tanglefoot Trail. Architect William Mills and Sam Creekmore of Creekmore Landscaping have presented a plan to the New Albany Board of Aldermen to build a welcome center just to the […]
The Union County Sheriff’s Office has implemented a new system designed to help victims and other citizens know when an offender has been released from the Union County Jail. It’s an automated system that the state offers using a federal grant called the Statewide Automated Victim Information Notification service or SAVIN, which provides notification through […]
The choice of an appetizer was going to be easy. Two of the three sounded yucky to me – the turkey rinds with hot sauce and the crispy pork belly with huckleberry jam. The third was deviled eggs with Spanish paprika and radish greens. I loved my mother’s deviled eggs when I was growing up, […]
The Union County coroner’s race is over, the special election votes counted, the runoff conducted, and the winner named. It was a grueling, but important, process whittling 13 candidates down to one – Pam Boman. We think those voters who participated, and it was less than a quarter of the registered voters in the first […]
Our beagle, Molly, and I were moving along quickly in the 23-degree temperature and brisk breeze Sunday morning. Molly was in no mood to dawdle on her morning walk, and I wasn’t either. My stocking cap and bubble coat were doing their best. I call it my bubble coat because the quilting is so puffy […]
Thanksgiving is here tomorrow, for many of us a time for family gatherings, turkey, pumpkin pie and all the trimmings. We hope at this time you will be thankful for what you have and also take a moment to share with others as we enter the holiday season. We are talking about the Gazette’s Sharing […]
“How marvelous – how wonderful . . .” It was another familiar hymn, and the mega sanctuary of voices swelled into the lofty ceilings with this praise song. Once again the words were retrieved from my childhood, but these were adult words singing of our indebtedness to our Savior. The chorus carried the heaviest words […]
The Tallahatchie River Players are providing an opportunity for family holiday entertainment while supporting a good community cause. The group will present Hee Haw Country Christmas at 7 p.m. Thursday and Friday, Dec. 5 and 6, in the Cine Theater of the Magnolia Civic Center. The program will include seasonal jokes and Christmas songs. A […]
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Clerk’s office open for absentee voting Saturday morning October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...