We want to clarify a point in a recent editorial about the lack of a police officer at New Albany Elementary School. We said the “Board of Aldermen has failed for years to budget for a school resource officer” at the school. Mayor Tim Kent points out that the board had not been asked by […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
My father used to say that it was a good thing I went to college, because I never would have made it if I had to work for a living. He wasn’t kidding, either. By working for a living, he meant physical labor, the kind that he did all of his work life until he […]
New Albany reaches a new milestone next week as movers and shakers in business and development from all over the state converge on our city for a two-day conference. More than 100 people from out of town are expected Tuesday and Wednesday to attend the Mississippi Conference on Business and Entrepreneur Development, hosted by the […]
Customer service runs the gamut in New Albany. One can find examples of prompt, courteous service with accurate filling of orders and staff in establishments going the extra mile to solve a problem, or even to prevent one from happening. On the other hand, there are some – mostly habitual offenders – who make customers […]
By Charlie Mitchell OXFORD – There was a dust-up last week about whether Mississippi should ever-ever-ever become a home for nuclear waste. Guess what? Mississippi has been a home for nuclear waste for nearly 30 years. As of 2008, there were 770 metric tons of spent nuclear fuel at the Grand Gulf Nuclear Station in […]
Things I’ve learned in our search for a new church home: 1) Large cities have mega churches as well as small ones. They have a lot of both kinds. 2) Man has discovered a variety of ways to worship. It appears some have not read the Manual. 3) Most churches are oblivious to visitors, but […]
New Albany Elementary School has more than 1,300 students, faculty and staff at the school every school day, but does not have a city police officer at the school. That’s not a misprint. The Board of Alderman has failed for years to budget for a school resource officer at New Albany Elementary even though a […]
For 51 years, I’ve worn glasses. I got my first pair when I was 16, after failing the Missouri vision exam when I applied for my driver’s license. Until that time, I just assumed the world was a bit of a blur to everyone. One of my most vivid memories is putting on my new […]
The New Albany School District again is demonstrating its drive for continuous improvement by successfully competing for a federally financed grant to help students who are struggling academically. New Albany Schools is partnering with the struggling district in Shannon for the five-year grant, administered through the Mississippi Department of Education’s 21st Century Community Learning Center. […]
The construction of a new emergency room complex on the backside of Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County is bringing to the fore a significant problem: traffic flow. The $12 million addition will have 22 exam rooms, two trauma rooms and two triage rooms. It also will mean one of the entrances to the hospital and an […]
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 27, 2016
- Macedonia news July 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news July 27, 2016
- Required vaccinations safe and reliable July 27, 2016
- Local swimmers compete in long course state meet July 27, 2016
- Tax-free weekend coming up July 27, 2016
- Health officer reminds parents about required school vaccinations. July 27, 2016
- Supervisors ask for bridge redesign to lower construction costs July 27, 2016
- Get a year’s worth of news for only $29 July 27, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...