The Tallahatchie RiverFest festival will get under way again this year with a Kickoff Community Luncheon on Friday, Sept. 20. The kickoff luncheon was begun two years ago to help boost the literary aspects of RiverFest to the forefront by putting more emphasis on the William Faulkner Literary Competition, which has been a part of […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
For us, fall comes early in New Albany. It comes with the first high school football game of the season. That time is here as the bright lights of Kitchens Field will be on for the 7 o’clock game tonight as the New Albany Bulldogs face Water Valley. And a couple of miles away the […]
The United Way has kicked off its 2013 campaign across the seven counties, including Union, that are part of the United Way of Northeast Mississippi. The goal this year is $2,400,000, which is more than the $2.3 million goal last year. What is most important locally is how much money is contributed by Union Countians […]
Today’s groundbreaking at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County symbolizes the growth of our area and the increased demand for urgent health care. Stephen C. Reynolds, president and chief executive officer of Baptist Memorial Health Care of Memphis, is scheduled to be on hand for the official ceremony starting construction of a much-needed new emergency room. The […]
First Baptist Church in Hickory Flat will celebrate its 125th anniversary on Aug. 24 and 25. On Saturday, August 24, from 4-6 p.m. the church will host a 95th Birthday Celebration for the church’s oldest member and longest serving deacon Will T. Hudspeth in the Family Life Center. During that time the pastor’s home and […]
The Historical Shady Grove Community Cemetery Committee is hosting a spaghetti supper fundraising event for maintenance of the cemetery on Saturday, Aug. 17, from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Shady Grove Baptist Church Fellowship Hall located on Shady Grove Road in Pontotoc County. The cost of the meal including salad, drink and dessert is […]
Downsizing is a fancy name for discarding “stuff” in order to live in smaller housing. Othel and I have been busy at it for some time. The reduced storage space has meant more self-discipline in storing items we knew we would continue to need. It’s also meant we must become more conscientious about returning items […]
The return address on the letter started with “Raytown High School Class of 1963.” “Oh, no,” I thought. “It can’t be time for my 50th high-school reunion.” It is. The letter outlined plans for events Oct. 4-6 in the suburbs of Kansas City, Mo., where I went to high school. Highlights include a Friday evening […]
New Albany has gotten a good lesson in what can happen when the community “dreams big.” The new tennis facility at BNA Bank Park has been selected to receive one of the United States Tennis Association’s Outstanding Facility awards for this year. The award will be presented Sept. 1 at a ceremony in New York […]
When it’s time for children to go back to school, it’s also time for one of the largest children’s health fairs in Mississippi. We, of course, are talking about the annual Back to School Health Fair at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County. More than 1,000 people, including as many as 500 children, are expected to turn […]
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...