You can blame that snowy, icy morning last week on the kids in Jenny’s fourth-grade class in Oxford. They wanted a snow day so badly that they decided to give Mother Nature a little help. Jenny said that one of the kids said last Monday she had heard that putting a spoon under your pillow […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The new course put together with the support of the Toyota Wellspring Education Fund will provide an opportunity for high school students to determine whether they have an interest in health care as a career while earning college credit. Twenty or more juniors and seniors in schools in Lee, Pontotoc and Union counties will be […]
The Mississippi House has again blocked an effort to allow voters in school districts with elected superintendents to vote on whether they want to continue that system. The House defeated 66 to 53 a plan that would have allowed voters to decide whether to have an appointed superintendent hired by the school board. Currently, most […]
It’s that time again. No, I’m not thinking of Valentine’s Day. Valentine’s Day hasn’t been a big thing at our house since the time I sent flowers to Jenny’s school in Oxford and the vase tipped over on the way home, soaking the carpet in her car. After I used a half roll of paper […]
New Albany and Union County have a decision to make about how competitive we want to be in trying to lure new manufacturers. At the moment, the community has about run out of quality ready-to-use space to accommodate the needs of new industries. Phil Nanney, executive director of the Union County Development Association, told the […]
Mississippi teachers, who are among the lowest paid in the country, would get a $4,250 pay raise spread out over four years under a bill approved by the state House of Representatives Wednesday. The bill still must be considered by the Senate before it would become law, but prospects are considered pretty good. Mississippi teachers […]
By Dr. Linda Mitchell When you hear the word “valentine,” what is the first word that comes to your mind? Is it heart? Red? Cupid? Love? Card? Candy? Flowers? Oh-no? If you’re like the majority of folks then the first word you think of is “heart.” Polls reveal the second word that folks claim […]
Newspapers are not dying. The truth is most Mississippi newspapers are doing just fine, and many are thriving, with readership growth and increased advertising revenues. That was the message I brought home from the Mississippi Press Association Mid-Winter Conference last week in Jackson. The problem is that, despite being in the communication business, those of […]
A Mississippi attorney general’s official opinion has confirmed what local school officials thought was the case, that the $300,000 a year Toyota pays Union County in lieu of school taxes can only be used for county, not city, schools. As part of its agreement when the plant was built, Toyota must give Pontotoc, Lee and […]
It has been 10 days since a fire and explosion shattered the early morning calm in Union County. That was when the JNS Biodiesel plan on Highway 15 just north of New Albany caught fire, which led to a series of big and small explosions that continued into the next day. Fire and emergency management […]
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...