The New Albany Hotbed Classic, which has become one of northeast Mississippi’s premiere prep sports events, had another successful outing Saturday at Memorial Gym on the New Albany Middle School campus. “The Hotbed, often imitated, never duplicated” is the motto of the event, and the tournament, which is sponsored by New Albany Kiwanis Club, has […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
By Dr. Linda Mitchell There was a time, believe it or not, when chicken wings were thought of as scraps given to the dog or tossed out with the garbage. Nowadays, they are all the rage as appetizers and party fare. They rank on the top of Super Bowl food polls as one of the […]
Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County has taken new steps to provide more services to newborns at the hospital. The announcement of a partnership between Baptist and North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo to enhance neonatal services is good news for those women having babies here in New Albany. Under the program, a remotely controlled robot allows […]
Christmas is fast approaching and time is short for providing holiday help for families in need in Union County through the Gazette’s Sharing at Christmas program. Frankly, we are a bit concerned about the pace of contributions o support the program that has been sponsored by the Gazette for 39 years. We have set a […]
Christmas is coming early this year, or at least it seems like it at our house. We’re not even near ready. Oh, the tree has been up for a couple of weeks. And a neighbor walking her dog stopped me to mention how pretty she thinks it looks from the street. If only she knew. […]
We like it. That’s our short response to the proposal for construction of a welcome center at the New Albany trailhead of the recently opened Tanglefoot Trail. Architect William Mills and Sam Creekmore of Creekmore Landscaping have presented a plan to the New Albany Board of Aldermen to build a welcome center just to the […]
The Union County Sheriff’s Office has implemented a new system designed to help victims and other citizens know when an offender has been released from the Union County Jail. It’s an automated system that the state offers using a federal grant called the Statewide Automated Victim Information Notification service or SAVIN, which provides notification through […]
The choice of an appetizer was going to be easy. Two of the three sounded yucky to me – the turkey rinds with hot sauce and the crispy pork belly with huckleberry jam. The third was deviled eggs with Spanish paprika and radish greens. I loved my mother’s deviled eggs when I was growing up, […]
The Union County coroner’s race is over, the special election votes counted, the runoff conducted, and the winner named. It was a grueling, but important, process whittling 13 candidates down to one – Pam Boman. We think those voters who participated, and it was less than a quarter of the registered voters in the first […]
Our beagle, Molly, and I were moving along quickly in the 23-degree temperature and brisk breeze Sunday morning. Molly was in no mood to dawdle on her morning walk, and I wasn’t either. My stocking cap and bubble coat were doing their best. I call it my bubble coat because the quilting is so puffy […]
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- The Playhouse December 6, 2016
- Governor lifts burn ban December 6, 2016
- Deadline for letters to Santa is Friday, Dec. 9 December 6, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday December 6, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday