We predict it is going to take more than a large culvert and a sidewalk to get people to park in the city lot near the Union County Library, but it’s a start. And it’s a start we support. The City of New Albany, based on a recommendation of its downtown parking committee, is going […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
In our community, we have what many communities only dream about – an active community theater group with a nice theater available to present its work. The Tallahatchie River Players, our community theater group, is approaching its 10h anniversary, a reason for much community pride. The last play in its current season, the comedy “Arsenic […]
We all have our knots on the family tree, I suppose. But some family trees have more knots than others, and I always have thought mine was downright gnarly. In fact, my sister Donna and I sometimes swap stories about who we would consider “normal” among the many cousins from our childhood, growing up on […]
The documentary, “Beyond the Tracks,” put together by New Albany High School students, is a fitting tribute to a New Albany legend, Sam Mosley. More than 650 people turned out in the school auditorium last Thursday to see the video documentary and hear a concert by the Mosley and Johnson Band, along with New Albany […]
The Mississippi House of Representatives has again failed to increase funding for public education to bring the funding level into compliance with state law. The House voted 66-53, mostly along political party lines, to approve a $2.1 billion budget for kindergarten through 12th grade, which is $265 million short of the funding required under the […]
When I was growing up, the ritual at our house was the same most nights. My sister and I would do our homework before supper, then the family would move to the living room to watch TV. At 10 o’clock, my mother would wake up my father, who usually had drifted off in his recliner, […]
The recent incident involving the statue of James Meredith at the University of Mississippi has again cast the university and our state in a negative national light. It is unfortunate that the Feb. 16 incident, in which a noose was placed around the statue’s neck and the statue draped by a defunct Georgia flag dominated […]
By Angie Barmer This February marks the 50th anniversary of American Heart Month, according to the American Heart Association. The designation is aimed at increasing awareness that heart disease is the nation’s number one killer, claiming more lives than an all forms of cancer combined. According to the American Heart Association, 80 percent of cardiac […]
Our Union County Library is having trouble paying its bills and meeting its payroll. That, to us, is a sad situation for an institution that is one of the most important assets of any community. We think you can generally get a pretty good idea of a community and its values by the vitality of […]
You can blame that snowy, icy morning last week on the kids in Jenny’s fourth-grade class in Oxford. They wanted a snow day so badly that they decided to give Mother Nature a little help. Jenny said that one of the kids said last Monday she had heard that putting a spoon under your pillow […]
- Overtime magic January 13, 2017
- Lee selected for Alcorn nursing program January 18, 2017
- Hillcrest Baptist Church to host Night to Shine Prom for people with special needs January 18, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- Weather Service to visit as part of severe storm awareness, training January 19, 2017
- Planning can save 15 percent at grocer’s January 19, 2017
- Elementary students honor King January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...