The return address on the letter started with “Raytown High School Class of 1963.” “Oh, no,” I thought. “It can’t be time for my 50th high-school reunion.” It is. The letter outlined plans for events Oct. 4-6 in the suburbs of Kansas City, Mo., where I went to high school. Highlights include a Friday evening […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
New Albany has gotten a good lesson in what can happen when the community “dreams big.” The new tennis facility at BNA Bank Park has been selected to receive one of the United States Tennis Association’s Outstanding Facility awards for this year. The award will be presented Sept. 1 at a ceremony in New York […]
When it’s time for children to go back to school, it’s also time for one of the largest children’s health fairs in Mississippi. We, of course, are talking about the annual Back to School Health Fair at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County. More than 1,000 people, including as many as 500 children, are expected to turn […]
I went back to school last week. The smell of fresh wax nearly overwhelmed me as I headed down the hall to the classroom. It’s the ritual end of summer at the Mitchell house: Our son Joe and I help Jenny get her classroom ready for a new crop of fourth graders. By Saturday when […]
School starts next Monday in both the New Albany and Union County schools and it’s time for all of us to slow down and start paying closer attention to our driving. Many drivers speed in residential areas, often driving 35 to 45 miles per hour in areas where the maximum safe speed is 25. And […]
By Charlie Mitchell OXFORD – Most Mississippians loathe the notion of “career politicians.” If, however, you ask any of these folks, “What do you think about Thad Cochran?” the answer will be “Thad? We love Thad. He’s not like the rest of them.” “Vote for Cochran / He’s Not Like The Others” may not be […]
Newspapers have been going through rough times the past few years. Sure, some of it is due to competition from the internet, but it’s more complicated than that. Over-distribution, union costs, competition from other papers in the same market, the economy generally and a shift in advertising trends all contribute. But those usually involve large […]
We learned with considerable surprise this week that New Albany now has a marketing director. Apparently aldermen had been discussing the idea for many months, but not at any meetings I attended. Local governments still have a tendency to do most of their horse-trading and rat-killing outside public meetings and that is not likely to […]
Man always has a plan. He has a brain, a drive, and usually the means. He makes the plan – a future plan that’s in an orderly, doable schedule. But suddenly from out of nowhere comes . . .! Life is good – one of those sections in life when the kids are well, bills […]
Last Thursday I had the privilege to meet some of our local swimmers with the Tallahatchie Tidal Waves Swim Team. My major purpose was to interview Coach Joanna Manning and those swimmers that recently competed in the state championships in Cleveland. I accomplished that order of business, but it was impressive how much our local […]
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series