Much mischief has been caused following Gov. Phil Bryan’s signing of House Bill 1525, more formally known as the “Protecting Freedom of Conscience from Government Discrimination Act.” We have heard more comments, more heartfelt about this issue than any for several years, at least. The Gazette has been soundly chastised for not immediately running Rheta […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Forest Thigpen, guest columnist If all the things being said by the opponents of HB 1523 were true, I would be against it as well. But they are not. Some opponents of the “Protecting Freedom of Conscience from Government Discrimination Act,” including Clarion-Ledger Executive Editor Sam Hall, make the outlandish assertion that this bill would allow […]
By Rheta Grimsley Johnson Jim Crow days are here again, in Mississippi, this time segregating gays and lesbians from fine, God-and-diversity-fearing citizens. But this latest mossback move to keep business at bay and our poor image intact might not stand. Why? Because some employers with big payrolls don’t like it. To paraphrase the Bible, a […]
MISSISSIPPI LEGISLATURE 2016 Regular Session To: Judiciary B By: Representatives Gunn, Arnold, Bounds, Carpenter, Gipson, Shirley, Boyd, Eubanks House Bill 1523 (As Sent to Governor) AN ACT TO CREATE THE “PROTECTING FREEDOM OF CONSCIENCE FROM GOVERNMENT DISCRIMINATION ACT”; TO PROVIDE CERTAIN PROTECTIONS REGARDING A SINCERELY HELD RELIGIOUS BELIEF OR MORAL CONVICTION FOR PERSONS, RELIGIOUS ORGANIZATIONS […]
The New Albany Home and Garden Show this past Saturday benefitted from the cool, sunny weather early but it was likely the two dozen or so individual events that drew visitors. The comprehensive array of speakers covered flowers, vegetables, ways to raise them, how to deal with pests and even new ways to display (or […]
By Lisa Brant I have been blessed in my life with two great role models of what a Christian woman, wife and mother should be and they were very different women. My mother was a strong, progressive, vibrant woman who died at age 69. She taught me how to stand on my own, to think […]
Regular readers of this page know this space is usually occupied by a Rheta Grimsley Johnson column. She has been a favorite writer of ours since her days at the Memphis Commercial Appeal, with her unique Southern, sometimes romantic, perspective. Occasionally she will tackle a tough subject but this week she took a particularly hard […]
New Albany is host to several public events during the year, most of them entertainment-oriented. One of the most successful, however, is different. For the past eight years the Union County Master Gardeners, with the Union County Extension Service, have held a spring home and garden show. While there are entertainment events during the show, […]
This past week we touted the value the UNITE Foundation has for Union County. Thursday night the organization handed out more than $20,000 to local agencies who work to improve the quality of our lives here. We noted that UNITE exists on the contributions of civic-minded individuals who have the best interests of Union County […]
By Lisa Bryant In today’s paper you will find the Green Magazine. In the front pages of the magazine you will find the calendar of events for the Garden Show. If you have never attended a Garden Show, you are missing a treat. Yes, it is put on by Master Gardeners, but don’t let that […]
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...