New Albany’s title run began with a 67-40 blowout of Noxubee County Monday night. The Lady Bulldogs opened on a 17-2 run with seven points from Micha Washington. New Albany’s defense caused a five minute scoring drought for the Lady Tigers, as they only managed four points in the frame. Washington also crashed the boards […]
Efforts to get Mississippi out of the bottom group of states in yet another national ranking got a boost last week in the state Senate. The Senate passed 47-1 and sent to the House bill that would make it a felony to maliciously “torture, mutilate, maim, burn, starve, disfigure or kill any domesticated dog or […]
Dera Thomas, 88 Dera Lucille Chesteen Thomas, 88, of Myrtle, died Monday, Feb. 15, 2010, at the Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo. She was born Nov. 13, 1921 in Lafayette County to Conley and Lillian Raines Chesteen. She was a member of Harmony Baptist Church. She had worked at H & G Fabrics in New […]
According to a story in Newsweek magazine last week, it appears that at least some evangelicals are moving away from the political and theological right wing. Younger evangelicals seem to be shying away from the rigid orthodoxy of past culture wars and embracing a broader range of social issues. The Newsweek story focuses on Richard […]
The road to Jackson will once again pass through Myrtle after the Hawks took care of business against Drew Tuesday night. Myrtle built an early 12-0 lead off of seven points from David Wilson. The Hawks would end the half ahead 21-6 and seemingly in control of the game. The Eagles started the second on […]
After an undefeated regular season in division play, both New Albany squads continued their dominance in Region 1-4A with a sweep of the division championships last Friday night. The Lady Bulldogs remained perfect on the season with their 54-31 win over North Pontotoc. New Albany opened on a 15-0 run, but the Lady Vikings would […]
Former New Albany City Attorney Bobby Carter said Tuesday that he plans to fire a lawsuit against the city for his termination Monday night. Carter’s statement followed a two-hour executive session Monday night, after which the New Albany Board of Aldermen voted 4-1 to dismiss Carter, who had served as the city attorney for 15 […]
Hickory Flat secured their spot in this week’s North Half tournament, but will both hold the number two seed after falling in their respective championships last Friday night. Shalonda Reynolds led the Lady Rebels in their 74-59 win over Walnut Thursday night, as th senior scored 22 points, followed by Kayla Kolivas’ 20. Hickory Flat […]
A late rally by the Lady Eagles was not enough, as they fell to H.W. Byers Thursday night, 57-42. April Rollins helped keep West Union in the contest, making it 11-8 at the end of the first quarter, and Kimberly Jumper would give West Union the 13-12 lead early in the second. The Lady Eagles […]
Meshay Cox hit one of the biggest shots for Myrtle this season, as her free throw lifted the Lady Hawks to a 67-66 win over Potts Camp Thursday before falling to H.W. Byers, 49-46 in the 2-1A championship Friday. Cox’s free throw came with 9.7 seconds remaining and resulted in Lady Cardinal star Kenyotta Jenkins […]
Myrtle and Ingomar met again for another close contest that went in favor of the Hawks, as they picked up the Region 2-1A championship Friday. Myrtle reached the championship after defeating H.W. Byers, 73-57 on Thursday. Beau Cummings helped Myrtle jump out to a 19-10 advantage in the first quarter off of eight points. David […]
Jewel Wallace, 89 Jewel Reno Wallace, 89, of Etta, died Tuesday Feb. 9, 2010 at Graceland Care Center in New Albany, Ms. He was born Dec. 30, 1920 in Union County to the Late James Virgil Wallace and Lavada Rudell Williams Wallace. He had retired from Futorian Furniture Company and was a Cattle Farmer. He enjoyed […]
The state Senate has passed legislation to permit an unlimited number of so-called “charter schools” throughout the state, which would be funded with our tax money. Hopefully, state House members will exercise better judgment and let the proposal die in the House Education Committee. Let’s look at the facts: Gov. Haley Barbour already has cut […]
Lindy Callahan’s legacy is long known throughout Mississippi, and two East Union seniors have been nominated for the scholarship named in Callahan’s honor. Carly Mahon and Gareth Pannell are two leaders for the Urchins, who through their academics and school service, have gone above and beyond, examples of what the scholarship stands for. Mahon currently […]
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series