BY DENNIS CLAYTON East Union will celebrate homecoming on Friday night and hope to get back on the winning track against Alcorn Central of Division 1-3A. East Union (2-2) fell to Strayhorn 28-7 on Friday while Alcorn Central (1-3) lost to Hatley 35-7.The Bears also lost to Tishomingo County 55-7 and Walnut 24-8 in the […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
BY DENNIS CLAYTON MYRTLE – Myrtle took the early lead, but had to hold off a late Ingomar rally to take the 8-6 win in non-division play on Tuesday. “I told the girls that it wasn’t a pretty win, our hitting today wasn’t what it has been,” Myrtle Coach Marty Cook said. “I told them […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON ENTERPRISE – West Union came into Tuesday’s game against Division 2-1A rival needing not only a win, but needing to win by three runs. They got the win and nearly had the run differential, but the Lady Hawks rallied for four runs with two outs in the seventh to close to within […]
Myrtle and West Union will meet today in an important Division 2-1A softball game at West Union. Myrtle comes into the game with a perfect 3-0 record, hoping to stay atop the division while West Union is fighting desperately to stay in the playoff conversation. Myrtle won the first meeting 9-7 at Myrtle as West […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON EAST UNION – The Lady Urchins of East Union needed only five innings to down Mantachie 10-0 to take their Division 1-2A opener. East Union took the lead early and used the combination of steady defense and Sallie Pannell’s pitch location to shutout the Lady Mustangs. “I told these kids, last year […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON East Union went long on doubleheader opponents Walnut and Wheeler as they hit six home runs, taking the sweep on Monday as they downed Walnut 11-1 in five innings and dropped Wheeler 17-1 in four frames. The Lady Urchins had 13 hits in the first game of the day against former division […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON ELLISTOWN – East Union missed some scoring opportunities early and Strayhorn eventually had too many offensive weapons for the Urchins as the Mustangs took a 28-7 win on Friday. “They were physical and that’s the most physical bunch we’ve played this year,” East Union Head Coach Kevin Walton said. “They were showing […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON ECRU – The numbers were exceptional for the top five batters in the East Union order: 15 runs scored, 15 hits plus four homers by four different batters as the Lady Urchins defeated north Pontotoc 17-4 in five innings. The Lady Urchins blew open a 4-3 advantage after one inning with a […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON ELLISTOWN – East Union dominated possession and the line of scrimmage during the first half of action against Thrasher on Friday and led 14-0, but the Urchins had to brace for a second half offensive surge by the Rebels to earn the win 34-20. “I told them (East Union) at the half […]
NEW ALBANY – In their first home game of the 2015 season, the Bulldogs walked away with a win. It was a close one, a 27-24 final, but one a long time coming for New Albany. The last time the Bulldogs defeated Pontotoc was in 2013, when the senior class were sophomores and the juniors […]
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Faulkner readers urged to just ‘keep on goin’ September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Ollie Otter teaches kids to buckle up September 27, 2016
- Supervisors try again on bridge contract September 27, 2016
- Main Street drainage work delayed September 27, 2016
- NAES students study Constitution September 27, 2016
- Tell us what you want the news to be September 27, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...