BY DENNIS CLAYTON EAST UNION – The Lady Urchins of East Union needed only five innings to down Mantachie 10-0 to take their Division 1-2A opener. East Union took the lead early and used the combination of steady defense and Sallie Pannell’s pitch location to shutout the Lady Mustangs. “I told these kids, last year […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
BY DENNIS CLAYTON East Union went long on doubleheader opponents Walnut and Wheeler as they hit six home runs, taking the sweep on Monday as they downed Walnut 11-1 in five innings and dropped Wheeler 17-1 in four frames. The Lady Urchins had 13 hits in the first game of the day against former division […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON ELLISTOWN – East Union missed some scoring opportunities early and Strayhorn eventually had too many offensive weapons for the Urchins as the Mustangs took a 28-7 win on Friday. “They were physical and that’s the most physical bunch we’ve played this year,” East Union Head Coach Kevin Walton said. “They were showing […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON ECRU – The numbers were exceptional for the top five batters in the East Union order: 15 runs scored, 15 hits plus four homers by four different batters as the Lady Urchins defeated north Pontotoc 17-4 in five innings. The Lady Urchins blew open a 4-3 advantage after one inning with a […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON ELLISTOWN – East Union dominated possession and the line of scrimmage during the first half of action against Thrasher on Friday and led 14-0, but the Urchins had to brace for a second half offensive surge by the Rebels to earn the win 34-20. “I told them (East Union) at the half […]
NEW ALBANY – In their first home game of the 2015 season, the Bulldogs walked away with a win. It was a close one, a 27-24 final, but one a long time coming for New Albany. The last time the Bulldogs defeated Pontotoc was in 2013, when the senior class were sophomores and the juniors […]
FULTON – New Albany won the turnover battle on Friday, but a second half filled with miscues, penalties, and stalled offensive play saw the Itawamba Indians take the 45-28 win. Indians senior quarterback Vijay Miller passed for over 250 yards during the game, tossing three touchdown passes and running a fourth while Bulldogs quarterback […]
The New Albany Park Commission announces registration for its 2015 Soccer Season. Registration is going on now and will run through Friday, August 21, 2015. The fee is $45 per child, ($40 per each sibling). All registrations must be done in person at the Sportsplex office located inside BNA Park. For more information cal (662) […]
Dye named Coach of the Year after impressive bowling season BY DENNIS CLAYTON – New Albany coach Wayne Dye was recently chosen as the Mississippi Association of Coaches Bowling Coach of the Year for the 2014-15 season. Dye has guided the Bulldog bowling program since its inception three years ago. “It was an honor to […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON ELLISTOWN – East Union concluded their spring football practices with scrimmages with Biggersville and Thrasher on Thursday. The Urchins tied Biggersville in the opener 6-6 and defeated Thrasher in the nightcap 13-8. “I was proud of them (Urchins),” East Union coach Kevin Walton said. “They had good effort. We’ve just been teaching […]
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...