Dye named Coach of the Year after impressive bowling season BY DENNIS CLAYTON – New Albany coach Wayne Dye was recently chosen as the Mississippi Association of Coaches Bowling Coach of the Year for the 2014-15 season. Dye has guided the Bulldog bowling program since its inception three years ago. “It was an honor to […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
BY DENNIS CLAYTON ELLISTOWN – East Union concluded their spring football practices with scrimmages with Biggersville and Thrasher on Thursday. The Urchins tied Biggersville in the opener 6-6 and defeated Thrasher in the nightcap 13-8. “I was proud of them (Urchins),” East Union coach Kevin Walton said. “They had good effort. We’ve just been teaching […]
NEW ALBANY – The Bulldogs have found their coach. Robert Burdette was approved by the New Albany School Board on Monday to assume the position of boys’ basketball coach for the 2015-2016 school year. “I know there was a lot of interest in the position,” Burdette said, “So I’m very honored and very fortunate that […]
NEW ALBANY – The athletic landscape for Union County and New Albany city schools will look different for the 2015-2016 school year as all five schools have made the decision to separate their schedules across all high school sports. Beginning in August, New Albany will no longer participate in any athletic contest with East Union, […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON MOOREVILLE – East Union’s Lady Urchins gave perennial 3A power Mooreville all they could handle on Saturday before falling 2-1 in a hastily scheduled game due to recent rains. “I love playing Mooreville, in my opinion they are the best of the best,” East Union coach Josh Blythe said. “They’ve got two […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON East Union won their game one in the late innings and lost game two in extra innings at the Pontotoc baseball tournament on Saturday. The Urchins defeated TCPS 7-0 and lost to North Pontotoc 4-3. Witt Roaton had a brilliant performance on the mound in game one, allowing only one hit while […]
JACKSON – In a game that racked up 59 fouls for both teams, Ingomar came up short. The Falcons lost in the semi-finals of the Class 1A boys playoffs to Coffeeville in a 92-69 final. “We [Ingomar] are going up to 2A next year, and we’ll be the only 2A school without football. We just […]
JACKSON – At 30 wins, the Lady Falcons’ season came to an end on Monday as Ingomar’s young team stumbled in the final minutes of the Class 1A girls semi-final against the Pelahatchie Chiefs. “It felt like we would gain control of the game and then make a mistake,” Falcons coach Trent Adair said of […]
JACKSON – New Albany took it to the final seconds and the final play against Bay High, coming up short in a 68-65 loss during a Friday quarterfinal game against the 2014 Class 4A runner-up. “Bay is a veteran team who know what they are doing and made plays when they had too,” Lady Bulldogs […]
JACKSON – The Bulldogs never got over the hump. All through New Albany’s 66-52 loss to the McComb Tigers, the Bulldogs kept the game close. Three points, two points, one point – all of them separated the team from the lead or a tie, but the Bulldogs never overtook the defending 4A champions. “They played […]
- Overtime magic January 13, 2017
- Lee selected for Alcorn nursing program January 18, 2017
- Hillcrest Baptist Church to host Night to Shine Prom for people with special needs January 18, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- Weather Service to visit as part of severe storm awareness, training January 19, 2017
- Planning can save 15 percent at grocer’s January 19, 2017
- Elementary students honor King January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...