One of the area’s most successful events is coming up this Sunday in downtown New Albany. The New Albany Main Street Association’s annual Holiday Open House will be held from 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday. About 3,000 people are expected to turn out to see the holiday decorations, enjoy some refreshments and poke around the […]
Tag Archives | Mitchell opinion
The proposal to construct an indoor swimming pool facility at BNA Bank Park is both exciting and daunting. It’s exciting because it would provide a wonderful place for competitive, recreational and rehabilitative swimming. But it is daunting because it could cost at least $5.8 million, and maybe more, to construct. The price tag, combined with […]
Voters will go to the polls Tuesday to select who will fill elected jobs in a variety of offices in our state and in our county. Locally, there are a number of contested races and we encourage you to make your choices known. In recent years, the Gazette has not offered an opinion, sometimes called […]
It is inevitable, of course. Mississippians will change our state flag to make it more acceptable to all our citizens. It won’t happen overnight. It might not happen in the coming year or two, but it will happen as old attitudes fade and new, more progressive attitudes prevail. The current state flag, which contains the […]
Today marks the start of the 41st annual Sharing at Christmas push for money to help provide holiday help for families in need in Union County. Although the Sharing at Christmas program has been sponsored by the Gazette all these years, it really is about the community, not the newspaper. It’s about all those who […]
Dr. Charles Garrett is on a mission to better link education to potential careers. Garrett, the former New Albany Schools superintendent who now is a senior consultant for education to the CREATE Foundation, says students and their teachers need a better understanding of the careers that are open to them. He notes that some of […]
Next Friday the Mississippi Department of Transportation will officially convert U.S. 78 to Interstate 22. What has taken two decades to get done will culminate with an official signage ceremony Oct. 23 at the BNA Bank Park Tennis and Soccer Complex off Bankhead Street. New I-22 signs already have been placed on both sides of […]
New Albany has a classy-looking downtown, bustling with traffic and shoppers that is the envy of many other communities in Mississippi. Aside from the shops, there are several focal points – the recently renovated historic courthouse, Cooper Park with its greenery and flowers and the Trailhead Plaza and bridge, the entry point for the Tanglefoot […]
Vance Witt is an affable, soft-spoken man who does not crave the limelight. He also is a man with a distinguished career and a strong commitment to community service. In our opinion those qualities make him an excellent choice to be joining the Northeast Mississippi Community College’s Alumni Hall of Fame. The board chairman of […]
The effort by Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County to offer quality-focused health care while controlling costs has reaped dividends both for patients and the hospital. Baptist is one of only three hospitals in the country recognized with the Quest Award for High-Value Healthcare. The other two hospitals are Memorial Hospital Miramar in Miramar, Fla., and West […]
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...