The proposal to rename Baker Street on the city’s east side to honor former Ward Three Alderman Tommie Beasley is ill-advised and should not be brought back before the Board of Aldermen. The proposal has created controversy among some residents on the street who have pointed out that the Baker home became the first black […]
Tag Archives | Mitchell opinion
Next Tuesday will mark a year since the new emergency department opened at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County. And an eventful year it has been for the gleaming, modern facility on the backside of the hospital that replaced a cramped and overwhelmed area that looked more like an old-time bus station. Emergency room volume has surged […]
Texting while driving became illegal in Mississippi July 1, but so far there Is not a lot of evidence that the law is having an effect. When we drive around New Albany and Union County we see driver after driver staring at the screen on a cell phone. Distracted drivers are an important safety issue […]
It’s coming up to mid-July and that means its time for the Union County Fair and Livestock Show, which bills itself as “the best little county fair in Mississippi.” The traditional fair events will be in full swing beginning Monday with a variety of activities as well as a full carnival. Wednesday is Seniors Day […]
It was a proud moment for New Albany and Union County last Thursday as 14 local folks turned ceremonial spades full of dirt to kick off expansion of the Union County Heritage Museum. When architectural students at Mississippi State University first put together expansion drawings in 2009, many in the community dismissed it as something […]
We hope you will pause for a moment Saturday and join us in observing the birth of our country. It is the official date that we commemorate the adoption in 1776 of the Declaration of Independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain. It’s a time to give thanks for a strong federal government, one that […]
Today’s issue of the Gazette contains the sixth edition of Explore Magazine, our annual glossy tourism and marketing guide touting the benefits of New Albany and Union County. It’s something all of us at the Gazette are proud of because it has been an unqualified success story. This year’s issue has grown to 100 pages, […]
The lack of new upscale single-family homes in a master-planned subdivision has been a problem in New Albany for a long time. That’s what makes the announcement of a new master-planned subdivision with 63 home sites on Bratton Road within the city limits so exciting. Dirt work on the Parkview subdivision being developed by Terry […]
Residents of New Albany have received some good news about the quality of their fire protection and the effect it has on their insurance. The Mississippi Rating Bureau has changed the ratings class for eligible properties within the city to a five from a six classification. Ratings are on a scale of 1 to 10, […]
Sunday is Flag Day and the community already is all decked out with flags. Lots of businesses have flags out and many of those were put there from a project of the Kiwanis Club of New Albany. Displaying the flags is one of the largest sources of income for the club and Paul Anderson, the […]
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...