1 shot in Tupelo, 1 detained

By JB Clark/NEMS Daily Journal

TUPELO – One person was taken away in an ambulance from 309 S. Canal St. after a shooting in Tupelo on Friday afternoon.
Tupelo Police Chief Tony Carleton said officers took one suspect into custody when they arrived on the scene of the shooting. The call to police was made around 3:30 p.m.
Neighbors Jarmarcus Staples and Arlando Morris said they heard two gunshots and ran down the street to see what was going on.
Morris said he saw a body laying by the steps before emergency officials put the man into an ambulance.
Carleton said the shooting looks to have followed a domestic disturbance but it is too early in the investigation to be sure.
Michael Best, who lives down the street from the crime scene, said the shooting happened at his cousin’s mother’s house. He spoke with his cousin earlier in the day who said there was a commotion at the house.
Best said he wasn’t sure if his cousin was involved or what happened after that.
Carleton confirmed the suspect and the victim were both males and he would release more details as they become available.