By The Associated Press
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Thursday:
1. THE WORST MAY BE OVER
New census numbers suggest that the U.S. economy has bottomed out.
2. ESTIMATE FOR HEALTH CARE PENALTY RISES SIGNIFICANTLY
Analysts now say about 6 million Americans will face a tax penalty for not carrying medical coverage in 2016.
3. JUSTICE DEPARTMENT FAULTED OVER FAST AND FURIOUS
More than a dozen people face possible disciplinary action for the bungled gun-trafficking probe in Arizona.
4. EXTREMISTS, FOREIGN FIGHTERS ON THE RISE IN SYRIA
Conflict’s evolution into open war has attracted infiltrators to the front lines.
5. AN APPEAL FOR A STRONGER STAND AGAINST VIOLENCE
After attacks by vandals on Christian holy sites in Israel, normally tight-lipped Roman Catholic officials are beginning to speak out.
6. ARCTIC ICE SHRINKS TO ALL-TIME LOW
Scientists say global warming is to blame for an ice cap 18 percent smaller than the previous record.
7. WHEEEE! TURNS TO UH-OH
Stuck on a California amusement park attraction, riders dangle 300 feet in the air for nearly four hours.
8. FOREIGN FILMS WELCOME — EXCEPT FROM THE U.S.
An international film festival opens today in what may seem the unlikeliest of places: North Korea.
9. SHAKIRA PREGNANT WITH HER FIRST CHILD
The Grammy-winning singer says she and her soccer-player boyfriend “are very happy” awaiting the birth.
10. HOW ODDSMAKERS VIEW THE NFL’S REPLACEMENT REFS
Las Vegas casinos are betting that this weekend’s games will be the highest-scoring ever — thanks to the league’s fill-in officials.