By John Wilbert/NEMS Daily Journal
About these All-Area teams
The Daily Journal has revamped its All-Area team format for the 2010-11 high school sports season.
The Journal will select 10 players – regardless of position or classification they compete in – from its coverage area deemed to have had the best seasons in their respective sports.
With 60 some high schools in its coverage area, the Daily Journal’s staff and correspondents did their best in determining which high school soccer players had the most successful seasons in 2010-11.
The Journal’s staff contacted area soccer coaches and other media representatives to seek their input on which players had standout seasons. The following is the list of players the Journal determined to have the most successful seasons.
– Vitals: 5-3, senior
– Facts: Scored 20 goals and had 17 assists. … 2011 Mississippi Association of Coaches All-Star selection. … Signed with Itawamba Community College. … Member of the Journal’s 2010 All-Area team.
– Coach says: “Hannah’s had an excellent career. She came in and played a lot for us in the seventh grade. She’s a six-year starter.” – Marty Pettit
– Vitals: 5-41/2, freshman
– Facts: Daily Journal’s Player of the Year. … Scored 27 goals and had 15 assists. … Three-year varsity starter. … Plays for the Chicago Fire Juniors of Mississippi. … Member of the Journal’s 2010 All-Area team.
n Coach says: “She got special attention from opposing teams, and that just allowed other players to step up.” – Marty Pettit
– Vitals: 5-5, sophomore
– Facts: Led the state in all classifications in goals with 52. She broke the Amory school record this year. … Had 14 assists and 62 takes. … Needs 62 goals to become Mississippi’s all-time leading scorer. … Out of the more than 10 NCAA Division I programs offering her scholarships, Forbus is committed to Ole Miss. … Member of the Journal’s 2010 All-Area team.
– Coach says: “She’s the best I have ever been around as far as a player. She can do it all. She’ll play for U.S. U17 national team this summer in Brazil.” – Nathan Clayton
– Vitals: 5-5, freshman
– Facts: Scored 29 goals and had 17 assists. … Named the Lady Wave’s 2010-11 Best Offensive Player. … Scored 4 goals in two playoff wins over Horn Lake and Northwest Rankin.
– Coach says: “She’s very quick and a great scoring threat. She matured a lot as a player this year.” – Sherry Rial
– Vitals: 5-3, senior
– Facts: Named the Lady Wave’s 2010-11 Best Defensive Player. … Co-recipient of the team’s “Will to Win” award. … A three-year team captain who was selected to play in the 2011 Mississippi Association of Coaches All-Star Game.
– Coach says: “As the leader of our defense, very rarely can anyone get in behind her.” – Sherry Rial
Forward, South Pontotoc
– Vitals: 5-7, senior
– Facts: Scored 33 goals. … Named MHSAA Division 1-3A MVP. … Chosen as the Lady Cougars’ Best Offensive Player. … Scholar athlete and homecoming queen. … Signed with Itawamba Community College and has the potential to eventually play NCAA Division I soccer, as Ole Miss has already shown interest in her.
– Coach says: “She’s kind of misleading. She’s a whole lot faster than she looks. She can play any position, but at forward is where she was the best.” – Horace Kitchens
– Vitals: 5-3, sophomore
– Facts: Scored 20 goals and had 18 assists. … Chosen as a 2010-11 co-MVP for the Lady Wave. … Co-recipient of Lady Wave’s “Will to Win” award.
– Coach says: “She is relentless on defense, but also scored a lot of goals for us this year. She works hard 100 percent of the game.” – Sherry Rial
Center Forward/Midfielder, Saltillo
– Vitals: 5-7, junior
– Facts: Scored 28 goals and had 12 assists. … Tallied 102 goals in her high school career. … Recorded hat tricks in wins over Amory and West Point. … Member of the Journal’s 2010 All-Area team.
– Coach says: “Catherine Plunk is a smart, aggressive team player who has the drive and determination to be a winner.” – Eric Reynolds
– Vitals: 5-5, junior
– Facts: Scored 12 goals and had 11 assists. … Chosen as a 2010-11 co-MVP for the Lady Wave. … The 2009-10 Daily Journal Girls Player of the Year. … Member of the Journal’s 2010 All-Area team.
– Coach says: “She has great speed and a great work ethic. She’s a threat on offense as well as on defense.” – Sherry Rial
– Vitals: 5-3, junior
– Facts: Scored 20 goals and had 7 assists. … Doubled her goal total from a year ago. … Selected as a 2010-11 co-MVP for the Lady Wave. … Member of the Journal’s 2010 All-Area team.
– Coach says: “Great speed up top. She and Charde’ (Hannah) gave us a lot of chances to score.” – Sherry Rial