By NEMS Daily Journal
Thirty-two airports in Mississippi will share more than $8.6 million in federal Airport Improvement Program grants.
U.S. Sens. Thad Cochran and Roger Wicker announced the awards, given by the U.S. Department of Transportation on Friday.
The money will be used to support infrastructure development projects.
Grant recipients in Northeast Mississippi were:
* Houston Municipal Airport, Houston – $286,703 for land acquisition for runway extension and approaches
* George M. Bryan Field Airport, Starkville – $216,447 for land acquisition for approaches and drainage improvements
* Roscoe Turner Airport, Corinth and Alcorn County – $154,790 for automated weather reporting equipment installation and taxiway rehabilitation
* University-Oxford Airport, University of Mississippi, Oxford – $127,358 for runway vertical/visual guidance system installation
* Okolona Municipal Airport-Richard Stovall Field, Okolona – $75,854 for hangar construction
* Holly Springs-Marshall County Airport, Holly Springs and Marshall County – $38,000 for land acquisition and a runway length justification study.